• You cannot reply to this topic

Speed Split

#1 User is offline   zyrrahXD 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:46 AM

hi.
I have a desktop, laptop and one DSL internet connection which is connected to my desktop.
I just wonder what device should I buy so that I can use the internet both in desktop and
laptop without changing the speed of my internet.

If this is possible, what should I do or what should I buy?

Thanks...

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:23 AM

View PostzyrrahXD, on 04 October 2011 - 02:46 AM, said:

hi.
I have a desktop, laptop and one DSL internet connection which is connected to my desktop.
I just wonder what device should I buy so that I can use the internet both in desktop and

Thanks...

I don't know if you can use both the laptop and desktop at the same time on a single line. You would need a dedicated line for each. Even then, with both online, it would pull your speed own to some degree as that is the nature of DSL. Also the more neighbors who decide to get online at the same time will do the same.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

hi.

Thanks...

a simple 4 port switch/wifi router will do the trick

http://support.netge...ERLQ0pGaw%3D%3D
Even the experts started out as beginners

#4 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:57 AM

hi.

Thanks...

You definitely need a router. This is basically a box that goes in betwen your DSL modem and all of your Internet devices (PCs, HDTV, and so on). The router shares the Internet signal between the multiple devices.

Typically, a router will have 5 ethernet ports, one of which is dedicated for the connection to the modem. You can plug whatever you want into the other four. In addition, most routers offer WiFi, allowing you to connect devices without a physical cable. That means you can take that laptop into another room and still have Internet access.

Routers not only share the Internet connection; they also put your computers onto a local network. You can share files between them. I have a printer connected directly to the router. It doesn't use the Internet at all, but everyone in the family can print to it.

In fact, I'd recommend a router even to someone with only one computer. Why? Because it acts as a hardware firewall--an additional layer of defense between you and the criminals of the Internet.

Lincoln

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users