PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: How Do I Add A Program To Win7 Start Menu? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Do I Add A Program To Win7 Start Menu?

#1 User is offline   gkuep1945 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:40 PM

I downloaded a utility to print a folder tree. It works fine. It is a stand alone program, which the instructions say to place in a folder and run it from there. I want to add it to the Start Menu in Win7, but cannot figure out how. In Win XP I could go to the folder for the Start Menu in Windows Explorer to add a shortcut for the program. In Win7 I cannot find the folder. Where is it?

I could pin the program to the taskbar, but that is not what I want. It would not be used often enough. I may not remember what folder it is in when I want to use it many months from now. That is why I want to add it to the Start Menu.

Please Help.

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:52 PM

Do you want to add it to the start menu on your user account ONLY or the start menu for all accounts (what most programs do)? Click Start, right-click 'All Programs', and 'Open' (for just your folder) or 'Open All Users'. Click 'Programs' and put a shortcut to it in there.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:30 AM

Hi, gkuep, and welcome to the Answer Line forum.

I'm assuming that Brian answered your question. But I have a question for you: What is this program you're using?

Thanks,

Lincoln

#4 User is offline   Tunz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:20 PM

Can you not just right-click on the executable and choose Pin to Start Menu?

#5 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:00 AM

View PostTunz, on 24 October 2011 - 10:20 PM, said:

Can you not just right-click on the executable and choose Pin to Start Menu?

Yes, you can, but that puts it on the left pane, not in the All Programs section.

Besides, if you really want to mess with the start menu, rearranging stuff and creating new submenus, it's much easier to do in Windows Explorer.

Lincoln

#6 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:36 AM

The listed programs in the Start Menu for Win7 are those programs which have been used the most often or just added (highlighted in pink). By clicking on "All Programs" at the bottom, it will list every registered executable program installed on the computer (but not utilities like Flash Player or Java). Some, such as Microsoft Office will be in a folder called Microsoft Office which when clicked, expand to list all the included applications. HP applications are all hidden under the HP name as well, but show up when HP is clicked.

This is why most instructions include the line "click on All Programs" when describing how to launch a program from the start menu.

Hope this helps.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users