• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

Post your comments for Microsoft to Windows XP: Please Die, Already here

#2 User is offline   dragon69 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members_

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:15 PM

yeah that charts shows how well vista was even mac os is higher (especially if the two mac os were combined) "The secret to XP's longevity probably has as much to do with the tepid--and in many cases, downright hostile--response to its successor, Windows Vista, as it does with XP's own reliability and stability. Enterprise users largely shunned Vista, which suffered from security and incompatibility issues right out of the gate."
Take Care and Good Luck

:-)

#3 User is offline   JSamuel 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

NO, it has to do with the $2K plus editing software I bought that will NOT run on Windows 7 OR 8 or any future system. I am 57YO an I DON'T CARE ABOUT BEING HIP and MAKING YOU RICH. I will go with OpenSOURCE before I will buy an OS that I DO NOT NEED! END OF STORY.

#4 Guest_xMATTPERKINSx_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

2 major things keep people from switching. First is cost and second is people are creatures of habit they don't wanna change until they have to.

Some would still be running MS DOS if it were still around.

However if Microsoft would make Windows more affordable to the average user, people would change more often.

To expect people to pay $100 or more every time out is just absurd. If they charged only $25 for each upgrade, more people would switch over quicker.

#5 User is offline   MartyBanks 

• Pip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:45 PM

With today;s economy, people can't afford to upgrade their home computers. If it works for them, let them have XP.

#6 User is offline   thewazak 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

I'm sorry, Libby, but your "before and after" chart does not inspire me to move along!
While I can ignore the pink stilettos (as a hefty guy may look a bit daft in them anyway) the chart leaves me cold:
I don't trust the cloud - much prefer HDD,
I still prefer to meet in person whenever possible - otherwise a phone call will do,
I never used chat - and consider "social networking" to be a similar waste of time.
So apart from being grateful to see the back of dial-up, where is the beef?
I bet the woman has a fancy degree in marketing or similar, to come up with that stupid ad!
As JSamuel implies - I don't need to "upgrade": I prefer to make myself rich rather than Microsoft!
To disagree without being disagreeable is the art of debate. Simply because one has a strong opinion, it does not necessarily make an alternative opinion less valid.

#7 User is offline   GradyPhilpott 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

For those running XP, the issue is undoubtedly one of hardware.

I love 7 and the transition from XP to 7 was as easy as any transition I've seen yet, but of course, I made the change when I dumped my old computer.

Apparently, a lot of folks don't want new hardware, although it's hard to see why.

#8 User is offline   puterdood 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

"Whachu talkin' 'bout, Jeff" Windows XP is the best GUI Micro$not has ever had. Vista was a complete joke and Win7 really aint that much better, although anything is an improvement over Vista. XP is what has made a lot of companies successful because of its familiar interface for users and its highly customizable inner workings for IT techs. I know there are security concerns, but that is a three-way street - the user needs to know not to open every email attachment, companies can manage firewalls and security over the network, and M$ knows how to plug the holes, which it has no incentive to do now. History will prove that XP is one of the best OS's while Vista, its suck-sessor, one of the worst. I still use XP at home, but have to use W7 at work. It is not because I can't afford a better computer (the one I have came with W7 and I upgraded it to XP, and it runs great). It is because until M$ comes out with a truly better OS than XP, I will stick with XP, whether that's one year, five years, ten years, etc. Hopefully within five years they will have come out with something just as good as XP???

#9 User is offline   goshdarnit 

• Pip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

View PostJSamuel, on 25 October 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

NO, it has to do with the $2K plus editing software I bought that will NOT run on Windows 7 OR 8 or any future system. I am 57YO an I DON'T CARE ABOUT BEING HIP and MAKING YOU RICH. I will go with OpenSOURCE before I will buy an OS that I DO NOT NEED! END OF STORY.

You are smarter than I was. I upgraded to 7, which in and of itself seems to be a fine and stable operating system. The only problem was that I had a boatload of installed software that just went "poof" during the upgrade. Huge pain in the ass to reinstall a few programs I still had discs for. As for anything I bought via download, I was screwed. (Yes, I did try to follow the recommended procedure for protecting xp software--but it didn't work.) My advice: if you absolutely must have 7, get someone who really knows what they are doing to assist you in the upgrade... If I find a time machine, I will not upgrade to 7 again...

#10 User is offline   JSamuel 

• Pip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:06 PM

The issue was and continues to be, that Proprietary OS's are more for their Manufacturers sake than they are for ours. OS's should be invisible and backward compatible, that's the mark of a good OS, they should not continuely use more and more resources and call more and more attention to themselves and worst of all, obsolete software that their users paid thousands of $$$'s for!!!

#11 User is offline   mb56 

• PipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

Sorry MS, but you need to face reality. The computing industry is mature - the average PC has 3X the power the average user needs and XP is all the operating system most people need. The days of churning people every 18 months for more $ is over. I don't want a new computer, I don't need a new OS, and I sure as heck don't need to spend the time and dollars reinstalling, buying, and re-tweaking applications that work perfectly fine now. If MS forces me to a new OS... it will be LINUX.

#12 User is offline   bankerdanny 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:18 PM

If MS didn't want to screw me up the *** dry on the price and then make it very difficult to upgrade from XP to W7 I would have done it already.

For the cost of upgrading both Windows and MS Office I could buy a new computer.

Sorry MS, I have far more important things to spend money on than to upgrade a perfectly adequate OS.

#13 User is offline   JSamuel 

• Pip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

MS along with Apple don't really give you anything better, just more eye candy. That marketing piece shown above that cites social networks replacing face to face contact is a pathetic statement about our society in general that we have spawned a whole generation that thinks it better to converse with a device instead of real people...

#14 User is offline   Johnbhvm 

• Pip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:22 PM

Most users don't want to reload all there old software. If MS wants their users to upgrade from XP to Win 7, provide an UPGRADE package. Only time I will do a clean load is on a new computer.

#15 User is offline   SameStuffDifferentDay 

• Pip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

View Postputerdood, on 25 October 2011 - 02:54 PM, said:

"Whachu talkin' 'bout, Jeff" Windows XP is the best GUI Micro$not has ever had. Vista was a complete joke and Win7 really aint that much better, although anything is an improvement over Vista. XP is what has made a lot of companies successful because of its familiar interface for users and its highly customizable inner workings for IT techs. I know there are security concerns, but that is a three-way street - the user needs to know not to open every email attachment, companies can manage firewalls and security over the network, and M$ knows how to plug the holes, which it has no incentive to do now. History will prove that XP is one of the best OS's while Vista, its suck-sessor, one of the worst. I still use XP at home, but have to use W7 at work. It is not because I can't afford a better computer (the one I have came with W7 and I upgraded it to XP, and it runs great). It is because until M$ comes out with a truly better OS than XP, I will stick with XP, whether that's one year, five years, ten years, etc. Hopefully within five years they will have come out with something just as good as XP???

I gotta agree with ya on this one. I'm running XP at home and still using MS Office 2003. Hey, if it ain't broke why fix it? At work I'm stuck using W7 with the latest MS Office and I have to admit I only whelmed by W7 and I hate the latest version of Office. I have no motivation to change.

#16 User is offline   eMJay 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:41 PM

I couldn't care less what Microsoft wants. My money is mine and no corporation is going to tell me how or when to spend it. I've already switched to using Ubuntu as my main OS over three years ago and I'm only using Windows to run my games, my Digital Audio Workstation and MS flight Sim software. Since I no longer use Windows to access web content, I don't need to worry about security support for the OS. Altogether, I've got thousands of dollars invested in software that actually runs best on Windows XP and I've got 3 XP retail licenses and one Vista retail license.

Microsoft clearly doesn't get it. The typical 'Windows user' in any part of the world is really just a 'Windows software user', not a Windows geek. Most people fire up the OS to access the web browser or to run offline software, not to play around with the OS. Most of the time spent on a typical Windows computer is spent interacting with the GUI of the software you're running, not with the Windows GUI. So what's the point of changing the Windows GUI if it's of little or no importance to your daily routine? If I'm in my flight sim program or editing samples in my DAW or immersed in any one of my games, why the hell should I need to change the version of Windows running invisibly beneath these applications?

#17 User is offline   A41202813 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:41 PM

@xMATTPERKINSx

'Some would still be running MS DOS if it were still around'.

What You Mean ?

When XP Came Into The Scene, The Hardware And Software Were DOS Backwards Compatible.

I Still Have A Dual Boot With DOS And XP.

I Use DOS Every FRIDAY To Do My Personal Accounting.

The Need For New Hardware Will Come Through The Browser.

When The Internet Demands New Browsers, And Those Browsers Demand New Hardware, That Is When, And Only When, People Will Have No Option Than Upgrade Their Hardware And OS.

M$ Already Tried That, By Making IE9 Not XP Compliant.

Nice Try, There Are A Lot Of Other Browser Fish In The Sea.

The Performance Of 5 Year Old Hardware Is Still Very Acceptable.

You Can Wait For Some More $$$ Of Mine, As Long As You Want, But Do Not Hold Your Breath.

#18 User is offline   milore 

• Pip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

I dumped Windows and use Ubuntu. Why in the world do people continue to pay for an OS, programs, upgrades, etc when there is a free and great one like Ubuntu that offers everything? OPEN SOURCE RULES!

#19 User is offline   MikeLewinski 

• Pip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

I replaced Windows 7 Home Edition with Ubuntu and am quite happy with it. Microsoft wanted to charge me $90 to upgrade, just to change my desktop background or to extend my desktop on a second monitor. Ubuntu gave me those abilities for $0.

#20 User is offline   soldcake 

• Pip

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

My Tablet notebook computer have 1.5GB memory. Unless whole win7 environment uses less than 800MB with office and antivirus running, I am not going to spend $150 to DOWNGRADING from winxp-pro to win7-home.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users