PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Total System Failure - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Total System Failure How do I rescue my hard drive when the system won't start?

#1 User is offline   kennyrosenyc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:15 AM

So I had a complete system meltdown and can't get my computer to boot at all. I can hear the fan struggling to start but otherwise it's no dice. So I'm looking at a new computer and just want to know if there is a safe way to transfer my old files from my old drive to the new one.

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:46 AM

View Postkennyrosenyc, on 11 November 2011 - 09:15 AM, said:

So I had a complete system meltdown and can't get my computer to boot at all. I can hear the fan struggling to start but otherwise it's no dice. So I'm looking at a new computer and just want to know if there is a safe way to transfer my old files from my old drive to the new one.

If you can't boot at all, you'll probably have to remove the hard drive from the old computer and attach it to the new one as a second drive. If the new PC is a desktop, you can install it. If not, you can use an SATA/USB or IDE/USB adapter to turn the old drive into a temporary external drive.

Lincoln

#3 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

Ok. Before you start thinking new computer, if you have a spare power supply, you might want yo try that and see if it will start. Sounds like the power supply may be just about gone ( for all intents and purposes, shot ).
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#4 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

View Postcoastie65, on 11 November 2011 - 09:51 AM, said:

Ok. Before you start thinking new computer, if you have a spare power supply, you might want yo try that and see if it will start. Sounds like the power supply may be just about gone ( for all intents and purposes, shot ).

I agree with coastie.
You said your fan is struggling to start.

Hopefully you have a spare or you can borrow one.

If indeed the pc is shot, Lincoln has you covered.

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

I agree with Lincoln's idea. So the PC isn't getting through POST? (showing the manufacturer logo and stuff) The PSU could fix that. Alternatively, it could be the motherboard. I had a dell that would crash soon after it booted into windows (~half a minute later), and the motherboard was bad. Nothing else fixed it.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#6 User is offline   Dellinsp531 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

If the problem is with the hard drive not PSU, than you can use a Linux boot cd like Puppy linx or DSL (Damn Small Linux) and boot from the CD or USB, than copy your files over. Linux is good at reading damaged hard drive.

If it is a PSU, than you either have to replace it or remove the hard drive and attached to another computer like people mentioned above.

This post has been edited by Dellinsp531: 14 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

"Windows 8 had the most vulnerabilities, at 156, but.... "
vulnerabilites rose in 2013, security firm finds

Windows 8 is a useless OS that Microsoft released that has many flaws and bugs. DO NOT USE IT. Use Windows XP or Windows 7.
Downgrading from Windows 8 to 7: What you need to know

German Agency Warns Windows 8 Pcs Vulnerable To Cyberthreats

Former Microsoft privacy adviser: 'I don't trust Microsoft now'

Other laptops that I had in the past:

(Why were my sign removed? Please let me know.)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users