• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Facebook Privacy...

#1 User is offline   spiderowych 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

I had a profile on one profile finder service. I accidentaly find it by doing some google search of me. It was quite disturbing to see that even a time information of my last facebook visit was there. All my likes, friends and even places could be seen publicly. I think that I was faulght for this mistake, but I think that privacy has been lost long time ago. What do you think? Are you safe?

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

I never trusted Facebook in the first place, and think the whole thing is stupid.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

View Postspiderowych, on 08 January 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

I had a profile on one profile finder service. I accidentaly find it by doing some google search of me. It was quite disturbing to see that even a time information of my last facebook visit was there. All my likes, friends and even places could be seen publicly. I think that I was faulght for this mistake, but I think that privacy has been lost long time ago. What do you think? Are you safe?

It may not be as bad as you think. Did you do this on your regular PC, while you were logged onto Facebook. If you can get to Facebook on that PC without entering your password, Google may be able to show you information that you otherwise wouldn't get.

I haven't tested this, but it's probable.

Lincoln

#4 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hi, spiderowych.

With which profile finder service did you have this experience? I'm trying to replicate it.

Lincoln

#5 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

If you want to continue using Facebook, go check every button, option, tab, and link of both your Account settings and Privacy settings. You should do this on a regular basis because Facebook is constantly "making improvements" and they prefer setting your stuff public at first and making you set it as private. Second, open up your profile and look on every section of it for a little pencil icon. The friend's list has one, for example. This will allow you to set privacy options on that section. Third, you can set privacy settings for pretty much every single update you post or make. Click the gear icon next to the update and change the privacy. They recently added a feature in which you could quickly adjust all your updates privacy settings at once. Fourth, go click the "View profile as" link to see how your profile looks to various groups or individual people. There is also a link to see what your profile looks to the public, which is where these profile grabbers get their info from. Fifth, keep an eye on what applications you connect to are allowed to do with your data. I suggest keeping as few applications connected as possible, or even deleting all your Facebook data and getting the heck out.

Facebook privacy is an oxymoron.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users