• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rebuilding A Network

#1 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

So I've been tasked with the challenge of building out the wifi in this rather long house with concrete support walls so that's really cramping the power of my two Netgear N300 wifi routers. I'm trying to thread the wifi signal through the main corridor and so far it's working nicely for the big common room. I just have to run more ethernet cables for the far end.

I'm trying to make my second Netgear N300 to act like a bridge/wired/wireless switch (devices pull IP addresses from the master N300) so that the printer room can see the rest of the network, but being able to manage it without resetting it is becoming nearly impossible. Netgear did not make this part easy to do (grrr) I'm working on calling netgear about this at a later date.

Repeating was my second hope, but it only seems to work on WEP and this house is right across the street from 2 dorms with many computer savvy students so that's out.

Both routers have the latest firmware and I also have a Linksys WRT54g and a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 at my disposal too, so lack of AP's is not an issue, connecting all the wired/wireless devices on the same subnet (10.20.30.X) is the problem. There will be about 10 wifi clients on any random day, there are 6 wired devices spread across the house (computers/printers/server)

Am I overlooking something obvious?
Even the experts started out as beginners

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

I used another router as a bridge before (a dlink), and recall I simply disabled the DHCP server on it and changed the setting to login to the ISP. Looking at my netgear (a WNDR3700), I think you might go to the bottom left, click LAN setup, and turn off the DHCP server. What have you tried so far?
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

Here's what I did to extend WiFi throughout our house:

Some years ago, I got a two-piece HomePlug starter kit. At that time, the idea wasn't to extend WiFi, but to bring Ethernet into the TV room--the room with the worst WiFi reception in the house.

I plugged the first piece into an AC wall socket in my office (where the router is located), and connected it to the router via short Ethernet cable. I plugged the second one into a wall socket in the TV room, which gave me three live Ethernet ports, each accessing the Internet and the home network, in that room. This was by far the easiest network extension I'd ever made, truly plug-and-play.

Last year, family members complained about the unreliable WiFi connection in the living room (which is next to the TV room). So I bought a Home Plug WiFi adapter. I set it up to use the same network name and password as the router's WiFi, and plugged it into the living room wall socket that was farthest from the router. Now we have a strong and reliable WiFi signal throughout the house.

I might add that the starter kit and the WiFi adapter were from different companies. HomePlug's a pretty reliable standard.

Lincoln

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users