Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any Antivirus Programs That Warn About Pup's? ilivid and no warning from Norton

#1 User is offline   threaddy 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

Please see my "rant" about ilivid getting on my computer and not a peep from Norton. This is apparently considered a PUP. Is there any antivirus program that ups the standard for warning about downloads even if they are not "malicious". Norton rates ilivid as "safe" It invaded my computer and changed everything, making spend a lot of time getting the junk removed as well as a tech expert to go in the registry to get rid of this thing because a simple delete was not possible. (Microsoft said the only way to get rid of it was in the registry!)
There must be an anti virus program that would have prevented this.
Help please!!!

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Hi, threaddy, and welcome to the forums.

It's a tough call, but programs that download PUPs (potentially unwanted software) are generally not considered malware. They're legitimate, legal programs, even if they sometimes behave in ways that seem a bit slimy.

The best way to avoid the PUPs is to be careful how you install programs--especially free programs. Always select the option for manual rather than automatic installation. Then, as you go through the wizard, uncheck every item for installing a program other than the one you want to install.

Lincoln

#3 User is offline   threaddy 

• Pip

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Thank you for your response. So, there are no anti-virus programs that warn about PUP's? PC Magazine has had some articles about sandboxing. Would this be an option? I downloaded this ilivid thing to watch some sewing webinars. I always have to load Citrix to watch so I thought it was a new variation...NOT! It gave me no choices and just started downloading which is what is scary... along with Norton rating it as "safe" then having a totally wrecked computer from this thing bulldozing in everywhere. Would Windows Security Essentials be a better choice than Norton for this? Jeepers, now when Adobe wants to install I get the jumps.

#4 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

View Postthreaddy, on 09 November 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

Thank you for your response. So, there are no anti-virus programs that warn about PUP's? PC Magazine has had some articles about sandboxing. Would this be an option? I downloaded this ilivid thing to watch some sewing webinars. I always have to load Citrix to watch so I thought it was a new variation...NOT! It gave me no choices and just started downloading which is what is scary... along with Norton rating it as "safe" then having a totally wrecked computer from this thing bulldozing in everywhere. Would Windows Security Essentials be a better choice than Norton for this? Jeepers, now when Adobe wants to install I get the jumps.

It didn't ask? That's surprising.

Lincoln

#5 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

Hi, again, threaddy.

I just tried installing ilivid, and the installation process most certainly gives you options. If you pay attention, you can stop it from installing anything other than ilivid.

When the iLivid Installation dialog box comes up, you've got a choice of the defaul Typical installation (recommended) and Custom installation. You need to click the Custom one. Then you have to uncheck the two options below that before clicking Accept & Install.

Then you'll get another page about the Torch Browser. Uncheck both options before clicking Next (and whatever you do, don't click Skip All).

After the installation is done, you'll get another set of options. I'd uncheck everything except Launch iLivid now.

Yeah, there's something slimy about forcing you to be so careful in avoiding PUPs, but remember, we're talking about free software. The people who wrote this program want some income for their work.

Lincoln

#6 User is offline   threaddy 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 13 November 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

Hi, again, threaddy.

I just tried installing ilivid, and the installation process most certainly gives you options. If you pay attention, you can stop it from installing anything other than ilivid.

When the iLivid Installation dialog box comes up, you've got a choice of the defaul Typical installation (recommended) and Custom installation. You need to click the Custom one. Then you have to uncheck the two options below that before clicking Accept & Install.

Then you'll get another page about the Torch Browser. Uncheck both options before clicking Next (and whatever you do, don't click Skip All).

After the installation is done, you'll get another set of options. I'd uncheck everything except Launch iLivid now.

Yeah, there's something slimy about forcing you to be so careful in avoiding PUPs, but remember, we're talking about free software. The people who wrote this program want some income for their work.

Lincoln

#7 User is offline   threaddy 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 13 November 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

Hi, again, threaddy.

Lincoln

No, there were no options as this was part of a link to view some sewing webinars. I am wondering if the link itself already had parts of the download options already checked? It started downloading and there was another screen on top of it so I could not even see what it was doing...it was most bizarre. All I know is I learned a lot from this and fortunately it is not malicious. My point is it would be nice if some anti-virus add on would be available that automatically stops any download with perhaps a yellow warning or something else to alert that something is going to invade deep in the computer. As the download starts there could be an alert that pops up to make sure the user knows setting will be changed and program files will be added. Windows is very easy to infiltrate which is one of the reasons why the Mac product is preferred by a lot of people. SINCE Windows is so easy to get into another method of stopping PUP's would be a very worthwhile feature. It would help when a person inadvertently does not check the right box or leaves a box checked that should not be etc. Your testing this out leaves a lot on the "to do" list to be observed!
On the Norton forum there are a lot of people asking how to get the searchnu toolbar out of their system. I do not think many people are even aware how deep this thing embeds with all kinds of names like datamgr, search results, bando media. If you look in your program files you might find quite a bit of junk. Obviously you are using a "test" computer to check this out.
I am again curious about sandboxing as a method to keep any download in it's "place" to be used temporarily and then deleted completely until the next need arises.
Another very suspicious part of this was that my system restore was messed with.
In addition Norton just gives this a "safe" carte blanche. It is like saying it's OK for a burglar to ransack your home as long as he does not leave with anything in his pockets.
Your comment about income...so that means they have installed a ton of tracking tools to sell to advertisers? Like having your phone tapped?
Your help in this is most appreciated.

#8 User is offline   threaddy 

• Pip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Lincoln, thank you for taking this topic to the answer line. I really hope Norton or some other anti-virus company will consider adding a feature to their security software to address changes to the computer. It appears a lot of PC members are very frustrated with unwanted program changes. Having to watch out for pre checked boxes is time consuming. Also not all the boxes are clear as to what will happen in the computer. The standard" buyer beware" is really not OK when one is paying a security program to assist in computer usage and to prevent from invasion malicious or not. .PUP= Potentially UNWANTED program. Certainly Norton knows which companies are notorious for this and could at least give a "heads up".

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users