Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Syncing? maybe other questions, not exactly sure

#1 User is offline   sasdas 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Ok, well Im going to build a small pc to hook up in the living room with the tv,
In short, I was wondering what methods are there to sync files or folders between two pcs, in this case it would be my main pc and the one in the living room?
I was wondering about this because I would be switching from pcs to use, for example playing a game on the main but then deciding to play it in the living room, so the problem would be transferring the save files.
Syncing between them would be preferable instead of manually transferring files using a flash drive.
Im rambling now, im just very excited about having this pc in the living room and would like to make it a much more enjoyable experience.

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

View Postsasdas, on 16 February 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

Ok, well Im going to build a small pc to hook up in the living room with the tv,
In short, I was wondering what methods are there to sync files or folders between two pcs, in this case it would be my main pc and the one in the living room?
I was wondering about this because I would be switching from pcs to use, for example playing a game on the main but then deciding to play it in the living room, so the problem would be transferring the save files.
Syncing between them would be preferable instead of manually transferring files using a flash drive.
Im rambling now, im just very excited about having this pc in the living room and would like to make it a much more enjoyable experience.

You could use a "cloud" service like DropBox, Box, Google Drive, etc. The potential issue with this approach is that many times these services much have the sync files in a specific folder. This could be a little bit of a hassle if that files needs to be in a particular place (such as maybe a game save file) in order for it to be used.

The other option is to use a syncing program that then syncs the files across your local network between the two computers. Such programs will typically allow you to specify a specific folder (and maybe specific file) to sync to a specific folder (or maybe file) on the other computer. This might eliminate location hassles, but it also has the potential to create other problems if you are not careful.

The last basic option would be to have all the files stored in a central network location (such as an NAS device...but it could be one of the computers) and access those files from that network location. This will work for "true" data files (i.e. videos, music, Word documents, etc). Not sure if it would work for game save files.

The other overall way to go is to just "manually" move files...but rather than use a flash drive, use the network. If you have file sharing setup, you could access the other computer from the computer you are at and copy the file that need from the other computer to the computer that you are at. I see this mainly for game save files as they might be the most challenging to get working with some "automated" syncing process or even a central network storage option.
Good riddance PCWorld.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users