PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Xp To Windows 7 - PCWorld Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Xp To Windows 7 Will WIN7 be around next year?

#1 User is offline   arcticsid 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 335
  • Joined: 20-January 08
  • Location:Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

Well, all of us XP users know the time is at hand.

I like XP, always been good for me. When I first seen 7, I admit, it intimidated me, however, I have used it on other machines and it doesn't scare me anymore. In fact kind of like it. Just wish I could get back the 2 grand I spent at the University to take the XP operating class!! LOL.

I realize I won't be able to upgrade, but, will need to make a clean install. I am okay with that.

My question is, how long before they tell us WIN7 is no longer going to be supported?

With all the horror stories I have been hearing about WIN8, I would just rather go with 7 and be happy.

I am confident it will, but, how do I know for sure this system will run 7? I don't see any reason it wont, but, I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Thanks as always,

SID

This post has been edited by arcticsid: 08 August 2013 - 05:26 AM

Dell Precision 360, Win XP-Pro, SP3, Pentium 4, 260ghz, 1.75G RAM.
0

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 20,650
  • Joined: 02-April 07
  • Location:Henrico, Va.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:21 AM

Hey Sid, I still have three running Vista and I intend to move to Windows 7 on them. I have NO intention of moving to that mess they call Windows 8. Had they seperated it and came out with a PC version and another version for the rest than it woukd have been fine. As it was, they treid to do TOO much with one OS and in my opinion is a killer. I thnk Windows 7 will be viable for awhile as a lot of people are happily using it and will continue to do so I suppose from what I've read. I'm thinking it wil be supported for some time to come, or until sometime after Windows 9 is released.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS




______________________________________________________________

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.
0

#3 User is offline   compnovo 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,227
  • Joined: 18-October 09
  • Location:Pacific Northwest

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

View Postarcticsid, on 08 August 2013 - 05:22 AM, said:

Well, all of us XP users know the time is at hand.

I like XP, always been good for me. When I first seen 7, I admit, it intimidated me, however, I have used it on other machines and it doesn't scare me anymore. In fact kind of like it. Just wish I could get back the 2 grand I spent at the University to take the XP operating class!! LOL.

I realize I won't be able to upgrade, but, will need to make a clean install. I am okay with that.

My question is, how long before they tell us WIN7 is no longer going to be supported?

With all the horror stories I have been hearing about WIN8, I would just rather go with 7 and be happy.

I am confident it will, but, how do I know for sure this system will run 7? I don't see any reason it wont, but, I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Thanks as always,

SID

Hi SID,
From everything I've read Win7 is supposed to be supported until 2020, which gives you a good seven years on a solid operating system. While I don't share coastie's opinion about Win8 the fact that there are only two regulars on this forum that are running it indicates my opinion may be in the minority. :lol:
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit
0

#4 User is offline   arcticsid 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 335
  • Joined: 20-January 08
  • Location:Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

http://www.microsoft...dofsupport.aspx

April 8, 2014.

I can't speak for my ole pal Coastie, but, I kind of like being a member of the "immoral minority"! LOL :lol:

(sorry, I misunderstood, you meant only two people running 8 , , I am still a member of the "IM", LOL)

This post has been edited by arcticsid: 08 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

Dell Precision 360, Win XP-Pro, SP3, Pentium 4, 260ghz, 1.75G RAM.
0

#5 User is offline   Flashorn 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,709
  • Joined: 19-May 07
  • Location:Canada

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

Hey Sid !

If my memory serves me right, you only have 1.75 Gigs of RAM serving that PC.

This might be a problem if you're to move to W7. IF you could install say 3 Gigs
of RAM, that would alleviate any undo weight on the RAM system to provide
enough working memory to all processes.

Another possibilty would be to use ReadyBoost :

http://windows.micro...ures/readyboost

This should help with the low RAM problem.

Don't forget that the OS will report and use only 3.25 Gigs of RAM in a 32 bit OS which
is XP and Vista and 7. This will include any RAM that is either dedicated to or shared
by the on-board video card.


FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.
0

#6 User is offline   Dellinsp531 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 570
  • Joined: 21-June 11

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

I would stay with Windows XP. Make sure to have firewall and antivirus running. Plus have the modem or router have its security set. This will keep the system safe after the end of support. You could get several years out of it before needing replacing.

If that is not possible, than go with Windows 7 but check that your hardware will work with it. If you do not have the ram like the poster above mentioned, see if you can upgrade it.
"Windows 8 had the most vulnerabilities, at 156, but.... "
vulnerabilites rose in 2013, security firm finds

Windows 8 is a useless OS that Microsoft released that has many flaws and bugs. DO NOT USE IT. Use Windows XP or Windows 7.
Downgrading from Windows 8 to 7: What you need to know

German Agency Warns Windows 8 Pcs Vulnerable To Cyberthreats

Former Microsoft privacy adviser: 'I don't trust Microsoft now'



Other laptops that I had in the past:


(Why were my sign removed? Please let me know.)
0

#7 User is offline   arcticsid 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 335
  • Joined: 20-January 08
  • Location:Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

View PostFlashorn, on 08 August 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

Hey Sid !

If my memory serves me right, you only have 1.75 Gigs of RAM serving that PC.

This might be a problem if you're to move to W7. IF you could install say 3 Gigs
of RAM, that would alleviate any undo weight on the RAM system to provide
enough working memory to all processes.

Another possibilty would be to use ReadyBoost :

http://windows.micro...ures/readyboost

This should help with the low RAM problem.

Don't forget that the OS will report and use only 3.25 Gigs of RAM in a 32 bit OS which
is XP and Vista and 7. This will include any RAM that is either dedicated to or shared
by the on-board video card.


FLASHORN.

I know for a fact this MB will handle 4 G so to upgrade that won't be an issue, might do it before the upgrade, I enjoy going to Facebook sometimes to keep in touch with my siblings "outside", (lower 48) and sometimes FB is to slow to catch up.

Do you know off hand the minimum RAM required, not recommended, for 7?


So anyway, the RAM thing wont be an issue, got lots of hard drive space, so thats not going to be ani ussue, not sure the processor speed off hand, but for the most part seems to cruise along pretty well for a machine of this age.

This post has been edited by arcticsid: 08 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

Dell Precision 360, Win XP-Pro, SP3, Pentium 4, 260ghz, 1.75G RAM.
0

#8 User is offline   arcticsid 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 335
  • Joined: 20-January 08
  • Location:Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostDellinsp531, on 08 August 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

I would stay with Windows XP. Make sure to have firewall and antivirus running. Plus have the modem or router have its security set. This will keep the system safe after the end of support. You could get several years out of it before needing replacing.

If that is not possible, than go with Windows 7 but check that your hardware will work with it. If you do not have the ram like the poster above mentioned, see if you can upgrade it.

Besides the ram issue, what else system wise would hinder a clean install to 7.

And why would you say stay with XP instead of 7.

There are a few things in 7 I didn't like but, most of those things were because they werent as familiar to me as that on XP, but, for the most part seemed to me to be a pretty decent OS.
Dell Precision 360, Win XP-Pro, SP3, Pentium 4, 260ghz, 1.75G RAM.
0

#9 User is offline   compnovo 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,227
  • Joined: 18-October 09
  • Location:Pacific Northwest

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

View Postarcticsid, on 08 August 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

View PostFlashorn, on 08 August 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

Hey Sid !

If my memory serves me right, you only have 1.75 Gigs of RAM serving that PC.

This might be a problem if you're to move to W7. IF you could install say 3 Gigs
of RAM, that would alleviate any undo weight on the RAM system to provide
enough working memory to all processes.

Another possibilty would be to use ReadyBoost :

http://windows.micro...ures/readyboost

This should help with the low RAM problem.

Don't forget that the OS will report and use only 3.25 Gigs of RAM in a 32 bit OS which
is XP and Vista and 7. This will include any RAM that is either dedicated to or shared
by the on-board video card.


FLASHORN.

I know for a fact this MB will handle 4 G so to upgrade that won't be an issue, might do it before the upgrade, I enjoy going to Facebook sometimes to keep in touch with my siblings "outside", (lower 48) and sometimes FB is to slow to catch up.

So anyway, the RAM thing wont be an issue, got lots of hard drive space, so thats not going to be ani ussue, not sure the processor speed off hand, but for the most part seems to cruise along pretty well for a machine of this age.

Hey SID,
If you upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit you'll be able to take advantage of all 4GB of RAM (or even more if your motherboard can handle it). All commonly used applications are compatible (I know this from personal experience, I'm running it on my media center PC), and it doesn't cost any more than 32-bit. In fact, the Upgrade version comes with both 32- and 64-bit discs so you can take your pick. The only concern would be motherboard support for 64-bit, but a little research will let you know. Worse case scenario is an error message when you try to install it, and you simply start over with 32-bit. Either way you have to do a clean install from Windows XP so you have nothing to lose. :D

This post has been edited by compnovo: 08 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit
0

#10 User is offline   Dellinsp531 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 570
  • Joined: 21-June 11

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

View Postarcticsid, on 08 August 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

View PostDellinsp531, on 08 August 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

I would stay with Windows XP. Make sure to have firewall and antivirus running. Plus have the modem or router have its security set. This will keep the system safe after the end of support. You could get several years out of it before needing replacing.

If that is not possible, than go with Windows 7 but check that your hardware will work with it. If you do not have the ram like the poster above mentioned, see if you can upgrade it.

Besides the ram issue, what else system wise would hinder a clean install to 7.

And why would you say stay with XP instead of 7.

There are a few things in 7 I didn't like but, most of those things were because they werent as familiar to me as that on XP, but, for the most part seemed to me to be a pretty decent OS.



There might be missing drivers that will not work with Windows 7. Most windows XP drivers should work but there might be some that do not. IE if you can not find a WIndows 7 driver for your network card, it might not work.

You might want to download free Windows 7 from digital river and test it on your machine. This will allow you to test it before getting it.

If your mother board can take 4GB, will you install 32 bit or 64 bit? If 32 bit, Windows will only be able to use 3.25G. 0.75B will not be used.

Do you need something special in Windows 7? If not, than stay with WInodws Xp. There is no reason to upgrade. Many companies are staying with WIndows Xp. They wll uprade to Windows 7 after the price drops. After Windows 8.1 is release the price should go down.

If you can do what you need with Windows XP, stay with it.
"Windows 8 had the most vulnerabilities, at 156, but.... "
vulnerabilites rose in 2013, security firm finds

Windows 8 is a useless OS that Microsoft released that has many flaws and bugs. DO NOT USE IT. Use Windows XP or Windows 7.
Downgrading from Windows 8 to 7: What you need to know

German Agency Warns Windows 8 Pcs Vulnerable To Cyberthreats

Former Microsoft privacy adviser: 'I don't trust Microsoft now'



Other laptops that I had in the past:


(Why were my sign removed? Please let me know.)
0

#11 User is offline   arcticsid 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 335
  • Joined: 20-January 08
  • Location:Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

View Postcompnovo, on 08 August 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

View Postarcticsid, on 08 August 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

View PostFlashorn, on 08 August 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

Hey Sid !

If my memory serves me right, you only have 1.75 Gigs of RAM serving that PC.

This might be a problem if you're to move to W7. IF you could install say 3 Gigs
of RAM, that would alleviate any undo weight on the RAM system to provide
enough working memory to all processes.

Another possibilty would be to use ReadyBoost :

http://windows.micro...ures/readyboost

This should help with the low RAM problem.

Don't forget that the OS will report and use only 3.25 Gigs of RAM in a 32 bit OS which
is XP and Vista and 7. This will include any RAM that is either dedicated to or shared
by the on-board video card.


FLASHORN.

I know for a fact this MB will handle 4 G so to upgrade that won't be an issue, might do it before the upgrade, I enjoy going to Facebook sometimes to keep in touch with my siblings "outside", (lower 48) and sometimes FB is to slow to catch up.

So anyway, the RAM thing wont be an issue, got lots of hard drive space, so thats not going to be ani ussue, not sure the processor speed off hand, but for the most part seems to cruise along pretty well for a machine of this age.

Hey SID,
If you upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit you'll be able to take advantage of all 4GB of RAM (or even more if your motherboard can handle it). All commonly used applications are compatible (I know this from personal experience, I'm running it on my media center PC), and it doesn't cost any more than 32-bit. In fact, the Upgrade version comes with both 32- and 64-bit discs so you can take your pick. The only concern would be motherboard support for 64-bit, but a little research will let you know. Worse case scenario is an error message when you try to install it, and you simply start over with 32-bit. Either way you have to do a clean install from Windows XP so you have nothing to lose. :D

this is running 32 bit, I would hate the thought of not being able to run 7 on this, I just got this system a few months ago and kinda got it tweaked tio my liking. I realize with 7 I will have to reload lots of stuff, but not minding that, please tell me I am misunderstanding and I can run 7 on a 32 bit system.
Dell Precision 360, Win XP-Pro, SP3, Pentium 4, 260ghz, 1.75G RAM.
0

#12 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

  • Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12,210
  • Joined: 31-December 09
  • Location:::1

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

I don't know what the minimum is, but I don't recommend running 7 with less than 1GB for 32-bit, or 2GB for 64-bit, preferably twice that in each case.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?
0

#13 User is offline   ElfBane 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 686
  • Joined: 25-September 09
  • Location:Florida

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

Dude,
Win7 x64 with 8GB RAM is a dream. You'll love it. Bite the bullet and just get a new PC. Use the old one for backup.
0

#14 User is offline   Flashorn 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,709
  • Joined: 19-May 07
  • Location:Canada

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

View Postarcticsid, on 08 August 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

View PostFlashorn, on 08 August 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

Hey Sid !

If my memory serves me right, you only have 1.75 Gigs of RAM serving that PC.

This might be a problem if you're to move to W7. IF you could install say 3 Gigs
of RAM, that would alleviate any undo weight on the RAM system to provide
enough working memory to all processes.

Another possibilty would be to use ReadyBoost :

http://windows.micro...ures/readyboost

This should help with the low RAM problem.

Don't forget that the OS will report and use only 3.25 Gigs of RAM in a 32 bit OS which
is XP and Vista and 7. This will include any RAM that is either dedicated to or shared
by the on-board video card.


FLASHORN.

I know for a fact this MB will handle 4 G so to upgrade that won't be an issue, might do it before the upgrade, I enjoy going to Facebook sometimes to keep in touch with my siblings "outside", (lower 48) and sometimes FB is to slow to catch up.

Do you know off hand the minimum RAM required, not recommended, for 7?


So anyway, the RAM thing wont be an issue, got lots of hard drive space, so thats not going to be ani ussue, not sure the processor speed off hand, but for the most part seems to cruise along pretty well for a machine of this age.



Hey Sid !

The recommended RAM for W7 is two (2) Gigs.

This is from MS :
If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

  • 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

If you are running an AMD processor then, you don't have to worry about 64 bit because they have been
running a 64 bit proc for at lest 6 years now. Intel was a bit slower to catch up but I would think that if your
PC is four years and younger, you can run the 64 bit OS.

My new notebook has Lots of memory (16 Gigs) but, it only uses :

Posted Image

This is with Task Manager opened, Firefox, Steam and Windows Media Player plus the background processes.

My Asus G73 has 8 Gigs of RAM with W7 64 bit and uses about the same amount.

My Daughter's Asus U36JC notebook has 4 Gigs of RAM with W7 and uses a little over 2 Gigs to function properly
so, I think installing 4 Gigs with W7 64 bit will give you all the memory you need.

Windows 7 has all the drivers you need to operate the hardware. IF by chance it is missing one then, simply go to
the builder's site and download and install that particular driver.

I have a HP printer that is 5 years old and when I plugged it in , W7 recognized it and installed the proper driver.
It's been running properly ever since.

There's not much to get used to in W7 after using XP. If anything , I found it easier to navigate and find folders .
Give it a shot and work with it a bit on your own. If you can't find a folder, just ask.

When you get set up, come back and we will give you the info you need to set it up properly.


FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.
0

#15 User is offline   arcticsid 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 335
  • Joined: 20-January 08
  • Location:Fairbanks Alaska

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostFlashorn, on 08 August 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

View Postarcticsid, on 08 August 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

View PostFlashorn, on 08 August 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

Hey Sid !

If my memory serves me right, you only have 1.75 Gigs of RAM serving that PC.

This might be a problem if you're to move to W7. IF you could install say 3 Gigs
of RAM, that would alleviate any undo weight on the RAM system to provide
enough working memory to all processes.

Another possibilty would be to use ReadyBoost :

http://windows.micro...ures/readyboost

This should help with the low RAM problem.

Don't forget that the OS will report and use only 3.25 Gigs of RAM in a 32 bit OS which
is XP and Vista and 7. This will include any RAM that is either dedicated to or shared
by the on-board video card.


FLASHORN.

I know for a fact this MB will handle 4 G so to upgrade that won't be an issue, might do it before the upgrade, I enjoy going to Facebook sometimes to keep in touch with my siblings "outside", (lower 48) and sometimes FB is to slow to catch up.

Do you know off hand the minimum RAM required, not recommended, for 7?


So anyway, the RAM thing wont be an issue, got lots of hard drive space, so thats not going to be ani ussue, not sure the processor speed off hand, but for the most part seems to cruise along pretty well for a machine of this age.



Hey Sid !

The recommended RAM for W7 is two (2) Gigs.

This is from MS :
If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

  • 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

If you are running an AMD processor then, you don't have to worry about 64 bit because they have been
running a 64 bit proc for at lest 6 years now. Intel was a bit slower to catch up but I would think that if your
PC is four years and younger, you can run the 64 bit OS.

My new notebook has Lots of memory (16 Gigs) but, it only uses :

Posted Image

This is with Task Manager opened, Firefox, Steam and Windows Media Player plus the background processes.

My Asus G73 has 8 Gigs of RAM with W7 64 bit and uses about the same amount.

My Daughter's Asus U36JC notebook has 4 Gigs of RAM with W7 and uses a little over 2 Gigs to function properly
so, I think installing 4 Gigs with W7 64 bit will give you all the memory you need.

Windows 7 has all the drivers you need to operate the hardware. IF by chance it is missing one then, simply go to
the builder's site and download and install that particular driver.

I have a HP printer that is 5 years old and when I plugged it in , W7 recognized it and installed the proper driver.
It's been running properly ever since.

There's not much to get used to in W7 after using XP. If anything , I found it easier to navigate and find folders .
Give it a shot and work with it a bit on your own. If you can't find a folder, just ask.

When you get set up, come back and we will give you the info you need to set it up properly.


FLASHORN.

I have worked on WIN 7 quite a bit helping my , "way less geek than me" buddies on their computers, because I was unfamiliar with it, I sort of had to learn it to instruct them, seems that way with alot of things with them, but, lucky me, my best pal turns out to be "getting it", a real knack, lol. I always tell them, and I quote my late Father, "read the book", or "did you "bing" it? " LOL

So anyway I am failiar with 7, and this last Winter from like November till April, I was running a borrowed laptop after my comp died until I got this new one.(refurbished, but clean).

YES! I had all my stuff backed up, had this new one almost restored and running like the other in about 8 hours flat including all the tweaks.

BACK UP YOUR STUFF!!

Speaking of backing up, as always I appreciate everyone in here backing me up on the issues problems and questions I pose. The other day my buddy offered me some money for some work I did on his comp. I said I can't accept it, I promised the gang on the forum I would repay all their help and kindness by sharing what I know with those who may not. So there!! LOL.



Always grateful,

SID

This post has been edited by arcticsid: 08 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

Dell Precision 360, Win XP-Pro, SP3, Pentium 4, 260ghz, 1.75G RAM.
0

#16 User is offline   smax013 

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,139
  • Joined: 28-January 07

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

View Postcompnovo, on 08 August 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

View Postarcticsid, on 08 August 2013 - 05:22 AM, said:

Well, all of us XP users know the time is at hand.

I like XP, always been good for me. When I first seen 7, I admit, it intimidated me, however, I have used it on other machines and it doesn't scare me anymore. In fact kind of like it. Just wish I could get back the 2 grand I spent at the University to take the XP operating class!! LOL.

I realize I won't be able to upgrade, but, will need to make a clean install. I am okay with that.

My question is, how long before they tell us WIN7 is no longer going to be supported?

With all the horror stories I have been hearing about WIN8, I would just rather go with 7 and be happy.

I am confident it will, but, how do I know for sure this system will run 7? I don't see any reason it wont, but, I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Thanks as always,

SID

Hi SID,
From everything I've read Win7 is supposed to be supported until 2020, which gives you a good seven years on a solid operating system. While I don't share coastie's opinion about Win8 the fact that there are only two regulars on this forum that are running it indicates my opinion may be in the minority. :lol:


Yes, extended support for Windows 7 is through January 14th, 2020. Here is the Microsoft webpage that outlines "End of Life" for each version of Windows:

http://windows.micro...ducts/lifecycle

And while I do see why some may not like Windows 8, I do think that it is not really all that bad. I can certainly live with it if I had to do so. Fortunately, I don't have to yet. :D
Good riddance PCWorld.
0

#17 User is offline   smax013 

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,139
  • Joined: 28-January 07

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostFlashorn, on 08 August 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

Windows 7 has all the drivers you need to operate the hardware. IF by chance it is missing one then, simply go to
the builder's site and download and install that particular driver.



While this is true much of the time, it is not always true. It is possible that some items may not have drivers available for Windows 7 (and Vista). This is particularly true of printers. Generally, most internal hardware should not be an issue.

It likely will not be a problem, but it might be wise to check to see if drivers are available for key external peripherals (in particular any printers) before beginning the upgrade process.
Good riddance PCWorld.
0

#18 User is offline   coastie65 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 20,650
  • Joined: 02-April 07
  • Location:Henrico, Va.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

Windows 7 has a fairly extensive library of drivers, so that shouldn't be a problem, except for stuff that has come out after the release and even then, it may have been updated.

This post has been edited by coastie65: 08 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS




______________________________________________________________

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.
0

#19 User is offline   Dellinsp531 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 570
  • Joined: 21-June 11

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

View Postarcticsid, on 08 August 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

this is running 32 bit, I would hate the thought of not being able to run 7 on this, I just got this system a few months ago and kinda got it tweaked tio my liking. I realize with 7 I will have to reload lots of stuff, but not minding that, please tell me I am misunderstanding and I can run 7 on a 32 bit system.


It will work on 32 bit, but will not used all the ram.

Get Windows 7 from:
http://forums.mydigi...-amp-X64/page72

This way you can test it.

Make sure you backup yout system. But you did mentioned you do that.
"Windows 8 had the most vulnerabilities, at 156, but.... "
vulnerabilites rose in 2013, security firm finds

Windows 8 is a useless OS that Microsoft released that has many flaws and bugs. DO NOT USE IT. Use Windows XP or Windows 7.
Downgrading from Windows 8 to 7: What you need to know

German Agency Warns Windows 8 Pcs Vulnerable To Cyberthreats

Former Microsoft privacy adviser: 'I don't trust Microsoft now'



Other laptops that I had in the past:


(Why were my sign removed? Please let me know.)
1

#20 User is offline   FascistNation 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 376
  • Joined: 05-August 08
  • Location:Under Cheney's Bunker

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Actually I just wrote an article for an online prepper subscriber magazine (that was rejected, sigh) on the options for those still using Win XP.

You still have 8 months before it is discontinued support on April 8th. The OS will still continue to work, but it will become progressively less secure IF you use it online.

You are not alone: Over one third the OS used online are still XP. So this is a big problem. W2k was used by a lot for many years after it ceased being supported as well as 9.x/Millennium.

Options are: 1. Continue, 2. Use as offline PC, 3. Upgrade or replace OS (if present PC can handle it), 4. upgrade components and OS, 5. replace PC.

No one option is better than the others but each has good and bad points. Continuing requires using apps that are still supported and more aggressive monitoring, upgrading just the OS is unlikely to be a pleasant experience on hardware soooooo old and limited, and as you said will almost certainly require a clean install (though there is a $30 way around that), upgrading hardware to support a new OS may be workable but may not be best and upgrading the entire PC is the most expensive but gives you 1 yrs. support with a new long term PC (or laptop).

As for Win7 you have until Jan. 2020. Though it really ticks me MS will not produce a SP2 for Win7.
Freedom's the Answer!
What's the Question?
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users