Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pc Does Not Recognize 2nd Hard Drive

#1 User is offline   creeds 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

Right, I bought a new PC couple years ago, because my old PC was old. Recently I have been scavenging some PC components, when i found my old PC hard drive. So i decide to use it as a back up for my new PC.
Doing so, my PC would not, it stayed on the Windows logo for hours. I turned off my PC unplugged my hard drive, turn the PC back on then plug the hard drive. PC run fine, but there was no recognition of the hard drive.
It doesn't show in Computer Management. The hard drive is running though, I can feel the disks vibrate.

Since this is a hard drive from an old computer and has a windows vista file and i am currently running windows 7, is that a problem?
I was told that you cannot install a hard drive that has an old windows.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:18 AM

Hi, creeds, and welcome to the PCW forums.

Here's my guess: When you installed the old drive, your BIOS decided that that was the first drive--the one to boot from. It attempted to boot Vista and ran into trouble, since every Windows installation is for specific hardware. Thus, the failure to boot.

After you unplugged the old drive, you did something wrong when plugging it back in. A hard drive takes two connectors--SATA and power. If the power connector is plugged in but SATA is not, the drive will power up and spin, but will not be visible to the computer.

If you want to keep the old drive in the PC, check the plugs again, then go into your BIOS settings and make sure that the new PC's original drive has boot priority.

However, I suggest you take the old Vista drive out of the computer. You say you want it for backup. But a backup drive inside the computer doesn't provide much protection. You're better off buying a drive enclosure (about $20), which will effectively turn the old drive into an external one. Then you can plug it in, run your backup program, then remove it.

Lincoln

#3 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

There are some serious hardware differences between the versions of windows that are supported. The windows flash screen means the OS is looking for hardware to match its install configuration. Using as a second drive internally to extract the files, documents, phots, etc. then remove it or delete all the partitions, and format under the new version of windows.

#4 User is offline   19TCC56 

• Pip

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

Need to change the jumper to the "slave" position on your non-reading HDD. You'll see the jumper section right next to the ribbon connector cord section on the bottom, back of the HDD. This should work for you.

#5 User is offline   PcTestCardCom 

• PipPip

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:03 AM

I would suggest we check the HDD in the Bios first and see if the Bios can see the old HDD as well.
If not, we need to check the jumper at the back of the old HDD, try change teh settings to slave or cable select.

There is nothing to do with the Vista on the old drive or not since we are not setting that as bootable drive.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech Manager, WPTinc.

#6 User is offline   kenwarf02 

• Pip

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:34 AM

Well, I answered this yesterday under the article and I guess they decided that it didn't merit being moved here with the rest from that page. I can only tell you this worked for me and I hope it might work for you as well.

I don't know if you found a cure to your problem with the second hard drive but I ran across this earlier this year and what I found was that somehow Windows had changed a setting under Device Manager since I had removed a second drive for another project and when I got around to replacing it.

From: My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers> Then check the properties of the > Primary and Secondary IDE Channel controllers > and check that the > Advanced Settings Device Types > are set to > Auto Detection. On my system I found them changed to None and that stopped Windows from recognizing the second drive while the System BIOS showed it correctly. Hope that helps you solve your problem.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users