• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:55 PM

Post your comments for Windows 7 Will Never Outshine Vista here

#2 User is offline   ogman 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:31 PM

Worst case of headline sluttery I have ever seen.

#3 User is offline   brien86 

• Pip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:36 PM

Idiotic fail. Actually, 90% of all Netbooks run Windows XP. Check it out...

http://www.slashgear...oshiba-1826926/

There were HUGE architectural changes in Vista, not just features. For example, what they did with networking. The entire networking stack was re-written from the ground up...

http://channel9.msdn...rking-Overview/

And btw, in case you didn't get the memo, Windows 7 rocks. Everyone loves it.

Like I said, idiotic fail. Matt Egan shouldn't have a job. Seriously, how can PC World have such a huge penguin lover on staff?

#4 User is offline   yoyoyo2 

• Pip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

worst article I've ever read.
Lets see, 1st the examples suck. ("In late 2006, you'd hardly choose a laptop to replace a desktop PC. For an OS, Microsoft was the only real option.") Not true at all.
("Fast forward to 2009, and you choose hard- and software according to need. Want a cheap, portable workstation? Linux netbook it is.") I love Linux OS but this is also not true. In 2006, you could also buy a cheap Linux netbook.
And as said above, everyone agrees Windows 7 rocks.

#5 User is offline   theneverman 

• Pip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:47 PM

you said it brother! as if Vista shined at all ever, it's the worst OS since Windows 95 (IMO).

#6 User is offline   theneverman 

• Pip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

This terribly fragmented article is making what point exactly? That thanks to the launch of Vista, which is a fail, we all looked to other OS's? Huh? We all wanted to go back to XP because it was finally stable. So how did it ever shine? Consider a better headline next time.

#7 User is online   quadibloc 

• PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:55 PM

To say that Vista shines brightly, because it had problems which created market opportunities for the Macintosh and Linux... involves using an unusual meaning for the term. And that despite these opportunities, Windows is still clearly dominant, as some have noted, is also true.

#8 User is offline   JedLarry 

• PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:55 PM

Assuming that Linux has been the OS of choice for laptops is not paying attention to the details: XP was extended because of Vista - the business community demanded it.
Keep in mind that Win7 is an upgrade of Vista - it builds on it. They aren't throwing anything away.
Amazing how opinion gets tagged as "analysis". Idiotic fail. Headline sluttery. Both true.

#9 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:00 PM

agreed

and a special wtf to the author

#10 User is offline   colloquor 

• PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

I've been a telecommuter and "running an office from the home" within our corporation since 1989. I only use WinXP Pro and a BlackBerry. No iPhone for me, as compared to a BlackBerry, it's a novice when it comes to corporate e-mail.
Let's see, I've tried Windows 7 RC1, and the splash screen is corrupted, whereas the splash screen with the Beta was fine. It seems MS has more work to do in regard to nVidia graphic card compatibility - which WinXP has no problem with, nor does practically every distro of Linux.
To get my work done in a timely fashion, I will stick to WinXP Pro.

#11 User is offline   qcdude3 

• Pip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

Ignorance is monumental. Most of us just want a reliable system that doesn't need fiddling. You stay with linux and I'll take windows.

#12 User is offline   luvwknd69 

• PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

Windows 7RC is stable and very nice to use, much better than Vista! Once 7 is released I'd love to see Vista gone as I don't want no part in providing any support to anybody for this junk! Reminds me of Win ME.

#13 User is offline   jabberwolff 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:10 PM

OMG how does this crap get published online?
What makes a PC Advisor"- Someone who has never held an IT Job in a corporation, must hate MS for no reason, must never look up propaganda, just take it as truth because someone told you it some where.
I'm sure I missed some other criteria, but that about covers it.
Is someone's kid allowed to be an "editor" or "PC Advisor". Journalism is dead and apparently rolling in its grave concerning IT journalism!

#14 User is offline   joewrigg 

• Pip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:28 PM

<<>>
Don't you mean, the world had changed and Microsoft hadn't? Vista wasn't world changing, it was (we can say "was" already?) just a terrible operating system.

#15 User is offline   bobbdobbs 

• Pip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:45 PM

I use Windows 7 first beta and now RC on my so called "XP" laptop (yes it came pre installed with XP Pro, and I was glad to format my drive and get rid of XP) and this OS is so dam fast and stable...I will happily say that all drivers, hardware and software work excellent and have had no problems. This is a better OS by far then others I have tried, including the lame Mac OS I have on my Mac. Vista runs perfect on my PC workstation, but I will def install Windows 7 on it when it is finally released to Joe Pub. Any haters out there that think Windows 7 is a waste or a re hack of Vista are in for a sharp surprise. You probably don't deserve a better OS anyhow :p

PS:

I never could quite figure out why people can't get Vista to work. I use the 64 bit version of Business and it never crashes, everything runs smooth and it's easy to use. Oh I forgot, some of you Vista users are stuck in the XP world, can't quite cut your embilical cords can ya? LOL funny how people could'nt figure out how to install Vista on a good machine. Tsk Tsk :P I blame laziness...either that or you're a paid Apple employee dissin Vista :P

#16 User is offline   RDunn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:51 PM

I'm guessing Mr. Egan (very badly) makes the point that, with the multi-flavors of Windows all going at once... (and with Win7 requiring a clean install from XP) ...there is more opportunity for users to look at alternative OS's. I was just thinking this before I saw that inflammatory headline... it's sad how sensationalism is a mainstay of "journalism" now... and 'opinion' blog/articles as well.
I have not had a problem with Vista... I've used it very well for some time. XP was good, but Vista is better, and it's not MS's fault that the 3rd party industry didn't ramp up their drivers for Vista.
I don't need to update just because there is an update, but Win7 will be a landslide adoption after the technophobe XP'ers finally see how well it work on their friends new systems. Business will do what cash-flow-is-king dictates... like sensationalism-is-king writers.
Win7 already shines bright... because it's not saddled with a 3rd party cloud. But the waters are roiling... however, linux isn't ready for 'the masses', and Apple remains Apple, pretty good, very proprietary... and so still in their niche.
Saying Win 7 can't do well, because Vista was so bad, and so bad it gives rise to others... is out of touch with reality. But the times they could be a-changin'.

#17 User is offline   bobbdobbs 

• Pip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:54 PM

here here, great point sir!

#18 User is offline   SFCDanaV 

• Pip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

We seem to be still moving faster than we need to. With the creation of New OS comes the creation of new computers to run them. Many of us, still use the older computers, the reliable ones, the ones that always work. Windows 7, or Windows Vista----I have yet to see anyone who has changed from XP. Military, Work Places, and XP apparently works fine for everyone. So why don't they enhance what everyone seems to like to use---. I have almost every OS there is, and out of all the Ones---Vista gave me the most for the money. Windows 7, seems to be very comparable, just has some new looks. Anyone who uses computers today will admit---all of them need additional downloads, like Adobe, Open Office---Why don't you put together an OS package--Like Windows 7 with Office in it. OS alone is useless but necessary.

#19 User is offline   Lunaticchimp 

• PipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

Not a bad point. Though I would say the final outcome is yet to be decided. And it will be decided by the people of the world when W7 arrives.

Even if it's amazing (my opinion is its worthy of an upgrade) if the people of the world still hate redmond for giving 'em Vista (whether it ran well for them or not) its sales will lag, maybe years.

I think it's interesting that though so many people are supposedly going to switch to Linux PCs and Macs, you hear few developers saying so. And if devs stay with Windows, I would place my bet on the people largely staying too. Even if the OS market evens out to give the little guys more than a whopping 40%.

VMs aside, if grandma can't hear her computer say "You've got mail," she ain't upgradin.

#20 User is offline   thewazak 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:49 PM

And there was me thinking this was a serious article.
(I forgot I was at PC World!)
OK, so it is all a play on words. Very clever. (Not)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users