PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: How To Rename Drive Pathway For External Disc - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To Rename Drive Pathway For External Disc Windows Xp reassigned F: drive to G: drive

#1 User is offline   060798ale 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:05 AM

Windows Xp renamed my external drive (WAS F:\) to G:\, and now my music and photo programs cannot find the files. How do I rename the external drive BACK TO F:\??

#2 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:38 AM

View Post060798ale, on 14 September 2009 - 04:05 AM, said:

Windows Xp renamed my external drive (WAS F:\) to G:\, and now my music and photo programs cannot find the files. How do I rename the external drive BACK TO F:\??

The easiest way to correct this issue is to simply reletter the drive. To do this, please follow these steps:

- Right Click on My Computer and select Manage

- From the Computer Management window, select Disk Management

- Once the window populates with all of your available drives, Right Click on the section at the bottom that represents your specific external drive and select Change Drive Letter or Path. It should look like this:

Posted Image

- In the new window, make sure that specific drive is selected and click Change

- In the next window, you will have the option to select the available drive letters. Please note that if another drive already has F:, you will have to do this several times to get F: back to the correct location. Otherwise, simply select F: and proceed.

- You may be prompted to restart the computer. Once restarted, the drive will be designated with the appropriate letter.

This normally happens when you disconnect an external device and connect another external device before reconnecting the original external device. For example, my wife has three iPod Shuffles (Silver, Pink, Blue). Each time I connect one of those players to this, or any other computer, the drive letter is always L:, no matter which device is connected. If I connect more than one at a time, they would each get designated with separate drive letters starting with L:.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   060798ale 

• Pip

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:54 AM

THANKS! The issue you mentioned is what happened in this case: Wife's MP3 with internal SD card took two drive names, "bumping" the F: to G:.

#4 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:49 AM

View Post060798ale, on 14 September 2009 - 04:54 AM, said:

THANKS! The issue you mentioned is what happened in this case: Wife's MP3 with internal SD card took two drive names, "bumping" the F: to G:.

With pleasure. Please let us know if you have any other issues.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   breezin1001 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:49 AM

View Postmphenterprises, on 14 September 2009 - 04:38 AM, said:

View Post060798ale, on 14 September 2009 - 04:05 AM, said:

Just a short note to say many thanks for the support and to mention that the method you described also works perfectly for Windows 7.

Thanks again,

Ron

The easiest way to correct this issue is to simply reletter the drive. To do this, please follow these steps:

- Right Click on My Computer and select Manage

- From the Computer Management window, select Disk Management

- Once the window populates with all of your available drives, Right Click on the section at the bottom that represents your specific external drive and select Change Drive Letter or Path. It should look like this:

Posted Image

- In the new window, make sure that specific drive is selected and click Change

- In the next window, you will have the option to select the available drive letters. Please note that if another drive already has F:, you will have to do this several times to get F: back to the correct location. Otherwise, simply select F: and proceed.

- You may be prompted to restart the computer. Once restarted, the drive will be designated with the appropriate letter.

This normally happens when you disconnect an external device and connect another external device before reconnecting the original external device. For example, my wife has three iPod Shuffles (Silver, Pink, Blue). Each time I connect one of those players to this, or any other computer, the drive letter is always L:, no matter which device is connected. If I connect more than one at a time, they would each get designated with separate drive letters starting with L:.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users