PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Emachines Acts Weird After Boot Sequence. - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Emachines Acts Weird After Boot Sequence.

#1 User is offline   Dominican1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

Man am I useless with PCs. A friend bought a new computer and gave me his emachines ET1161-05 Tower (with Vista, AMD Athlon Processor, 160 GB Hard Drive and 2GB DDRs Memory). Every time I try to turn on the computer, it would boot normally (emachines screen appears, then windows). After about 20-30 seconds, the computer would turn off on it's own(no shut down, completely off). I tried installing XP to see if the OS was corrupted, but it still turns off. Sometimes the PC would turn on on it's own, then turn off ten seconds later. This would happen maybe 10-15 times a day.

I have some computer knowledge, but not enough to know what's happening. Please help me, anyone!!!!! Thanks.

#2 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:00 PM

View PostDominican1, on 27 November 2009 - 11:44 AM, said:

Man am I useless with PCs. A friend bought a new computer and gave me his emachines ET1161-05 Tower (with Vista, AMD Athlon Processor, 160 GB Hard Drive and 2GB DDRs Memory). Every time I try to turn on the computer, it would boot normally (emachines screen appears, then windows). After about 20-30 seconds, the computer would turn off on it's own(no shut down, completely off). I tried installing XP to see if the OS was corrupted, but it still turns off. Sometimes the PC would turn on on it's own, then turn off ten seconds later. This would happen maybe 10-15 times a day.

I have some computer knowledge, but not enough to know what's happening. Please help me, anyone!!!!! Thanks.

When you installed XP did you format the hard drive or use a second drive?

Have you tried removing the side panel and making sure that the CPU fan starts up shortly after the computer starts the boot process?

From the time element, it gets about halfway through the boot process, which could indicate a problem with the hard drive or the CPU fan. One thing you can do is on start hit the F key for the BIOS setup (I don't know what it is for e-Machines) and browse around in the BIOS screens and see if there is an entry for the maximum temperature of the CPU chip. If you find it, post it this discussion.

The machine clears the POST which means it finds a boot drive with a Master Boot Record, it has a CPU present, has Memory present and has found a keyboard. Then some 20 seconds later apparently hits a hard fault and just shuts off. This may take some time to solve.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Dominican1 

• Pip

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:06 PM

View Postrgreen4, on 27 November 2009 - 12:00 PM, said:

View PostDominican1, on 27 November 2009 - 11:44 AM, said:

When you installed XP did you format the hard drive or use a second drive?

Have you tried removing the side panel and making sure that the CPU fan starts up shortly after the computer starts the boot process?

From the time element, it gets about halfway through the boot process, which could indicate a problem with the hard drive or the CPU fan. One thing you can do is on start hit the F key for the BIOS setup (I don't know what it is for e-Machines) and browse around in the BIOS screens and see if there is an entry for the maximum temperature of the CPU chip. If you find it, post it this discussion.

The machine clears the POST which means it finds a boot drive with a Master Boot Record, it has a CPU present, has Memory present and has found a keyboard. Then some 20 seconds later apparently hits a hard fault and just shuts off. This may take some time to solve.

Thanks, I'll let you know in a couple of hours. I gotta pickup my wife from her job. I got lucky with the day off. Thanks again!

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

Two things come to mind. 1) an overheating CPU. rg alluded to that when he asked you to check the CPU fan and make sure it is working. 2) A faulty PSU. emachines doesn't necessarily use top shelf PSU's and they have been know to fail, not to mention that they are barely adequate to run the system configuration as it was out of the box. They did have some problems with AMD based Motherboards, but this was sometime back ( several years) and I haven't really heard of any continuing problems.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#5 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:39 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 27 November 2009 - 02:34 PM, said:

2) A faulty PSU. emachines doesn't necessarily use top shelf PSU's and they have been know to fail, not to mention that they are barely adequate to run the system configuration as it was out of the box.

Boy, I sure overlooked that. MPH would be upset with me for that was always his point to check. That is very typical of a failing PSU, just as the machine starts to power up all the devices, the power exceeds what is available and shuts down.

Dominican1 - do you have another PSU you can try in the machine? Also, look at the label on the PSU and let us know the wattage if you would.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   GetReal 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:30 AM

While absolutely not an expert, I have repaired many PC's over the years. With very few exceptions in this kind of failure, I have found it to be a hard-disk starting to go south. For me, inadequate power supplies have never been an issue and have also worked on PC's that during inspection, found the CPU fan to be so stuffed with stuff/crud that it obviously had not been running for months and probably never cleaned - yet the failures started recently. So tend to think that with only a CPU heat sink and just the cabinet fan, CPU's remain sufficiently cool to continue working. These points are supported by the quick failure stated here = within a minute of power-up.

Good luck with repairs!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users