Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cd's And Windows Media Player

#1 User is offline   ZeldaTech73 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

When an music CD is inserted in the computer while you are online and it gets the information (artist, song and album titles, etc.), where is that information stored and can it be backed up incase if the computer needs to be reset back to "factory-state" or if you have more that one computer and just want to copy that information to the other computers instead of inserting all of those CDs all over again?

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:22 AM

View PostZeldaTech73, on 02 January 2010 - 09:15 PM, said:

When an music CD is inserted in the computer while you are online and it gets the information (artist, song and album titles, etc.), where is that information stored and can it be backed up incase if the computer needs to be reset back to "factory-state" or if you have more that one computer and just want to copy that information to the other computers instead of inserting all of those CDs all over again?

I assume you're asking where it's stored on your computer, not on the Internet.

I believe it's stored as part of the music file's metadata (data about the data within the file). I have to admit I don't know off-hand where the image is saved.

However, I do know that when I copy my music collection from one computer to another, everything--including the images--goes with the music.

(Actually, the one real problem with moving music to another PC or restoring it is with the digital rights management, DRM, which controls how many computers you have a right to play that music on. I get around this by not buying music with DRM.)

Lincoln

Lincoln

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

View PostZeldaTech73, on 02 January 2010 - 09:15 PM, said:

Are you talking about a CD that you just stick in and play?

Or are you talking about songs that you "rip" (i.e. make electronic versions that are stored on your computer) to the library on your computer so that you can then play those songs again in the future without sticking the CD?

In the case of the former, I do not believe that anything is stored on your computer. If you stick that CD back in, then I believe the program (such as Windows Media Player) will just "re-look up" the information for that CD. Even if it does store that information on the computer, as long as the "new" computer has an Internet connection, it can look up that information.

If you are talking about the later, then as long as your computer had an Internet connection when you stuck in that CD and was able to get the song/track, artist, etc information, then that information will be "embedded" in the resulting electronic file when you rip that CD. Then if you copy those songs to a new computer, all that information will be carried with the song files.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#4 User is offline   richardmitnick 

• PipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

It's not always that simple. It is probably simple for pop music. But with Jazz and Classical music, not so much.

In jazz, the "sidemen" are very important and they are practically never listed. One must go get them from some outside source, where they can be copied and pasted into Properties. The main man/woman is Album Artist (e.g. Miles Davis), the sidemen go into "Artists" (eg Red Garland, McCoy Tyner, etc., with their instruments.

In Classical, the composer is rarely the "Album Artist". If it is Beethoven symphonies by Simon rattle and the Berlin Phil, Album Artist will be Simon Rattle. There, I switch up the tagging so that everything Beethoven comes up Beethoven. Here, one can make their own choices, and maybe maybe sort on Composer. But if the library is mixed, it will ALL then come up that way.

Tagging is a very individualized set of decisions.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users