Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recover Deleted Files how to recover deleted files after System Recover

#1 User is offline   yvonne54 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

After my PC (with Windows XP) was downed after a power failure, Windows would not come up. I tried all the alternatives it gave me, but nothing worked. Finally the only choice I had was to choose System restore. That brought my PC to its original state (as it came brand new) but it deleted all the files and pictures that I had. My question is, is it possible to recover these files, and how can it be done? Any programs you suggest for this situation?

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:20 PM

View Postyvonne54, on 08 January 2010 - 12:30 PM, said:

After my PC (with Windows XP) was downed after a power failure, Windows would not come up. I tried all the alternatives it gave me, but nothing worked. Finally the only choice I had was to choose System restore. That brought my PC to its original state (as it came brand new) but it deleted all the files and pictures that I had. My question is, is it possible to recover these files, and how can it be done? Any programs you suggest for this situation?

Maybe.

You can try data recovery software. There are a variety of programs out there. One that I have tangential experience with is Data Rescue PC 3. My buddy used it to recovery files from a hosed hard drive. You can download the demo and it will supposedly tell you if it believes it can recover any files. To actually try to recovery them, you will have to pay for the full version.

The other alternative is a data recovery service such as DriveSavers. They likely will have a better chance, but it is still a maybe. You should be aware, however, that such recovery services generally are NOT cheap. You will likely pay AT LEAST several hundred dollars and potentially more.

Now, I will give you a fond "I told you so" type look like your mother might have done and say this is a prime reason why you should always backup your files. :D Sorry, the "soapbox" was calling! ;)
Good riddance PCWorld.

#3 User is offline   istanbul 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:35 AM

View Postyvonne54, on 08 January 2010 - 12:30 PM, said:

You could also try http://www.piriform.com/recuva (FREE) and yes back ups are good,no back ups are bad, :lol:

This post has been edited by istanbul: 09 January 2010 - 02:37 AM

#4 User is offline   Dellinsp531 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:35 AM

View Postistanbul, on 09 January 2010 - 02:35 AM, said:

You could also try http://www.piriform.com/recuva (FREE) and yes back ups are good,no back ups are bad, :lol:

I would recommand this as well. Recuva is good and it is free.

Another would be Ultimate Boot CD (free), it has programs for data recovery. Plus since it loads of the RAM, it will not erase the data on the hard drive. You should use an exteral drive to move the files over.

Also next time you have a problem, the best thing to do is boot the computer with a Live linux cd or USB like Puppy or DSL (Damn Small Linux) to get files off before doing a Windows System restore.

Edit:
Just noticed that this is an old post.

This post has been edited by Dellinsp531: 13 December 2011 - 08:43 AM

"Windows 8 had the most vulnerabilities, at 156, but.... "
vulnerabilites rose in 2013, security firm finds

Windows 8 is a useless OS that Microsoft released that has many flaws and bugs. DO NOT USE IT. Use Windows XP or Windows 7.
Downgrading from Windows 8 to 7: What you need to know

German Agency Warns Windows 8 Pcs Vulnerable To Cyberthreats

Former Microsoft privacy adviser: 'I don't trust Microsoft now'

Other laptops that I had in the past:

(Why were my sign removed? Please let me know.)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users