PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Is There Any Method Or Way To Save Or Recovery Password For Different Application? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is There Any Method Or Way To Save Or Recovery Password For Different Application? I would like to know about that is there any way to or method

#1 User is offline   coolfoster 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:28 PM

I would like to know about that is there any way to or method with in the system which can store my password. I generally forget the password of many application including mail to my admin login. Please suggest me a ways or methods how to secure and save my password or recover my lost password.

#2 User is offline   JimH443 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:10 AM

View Postcoolfoster, on 28 March 2010 - 10:28 PM, said:

I would like to know about that is there any way to or method with in the system which can store my password. I generally forget the password of many application including mail to my admin login. Please suggest me a ways or methods how to secure and save my password or recover my lost password.

Yes, there are ways. But remember, anything that's written to your hard drive can be read by anyone with access to your computer. These days, someone could be halfway around the world and have access to your computer without your even knowing it.

That said...

Saving Passwords:

1) The simplest and cheapest method is to use Notepad to create a text file that contains your passwords.

2) If leaving this information in plain text bothers you (it does me), you can use a compressing program such as WinZIP and password protect that file. Of course, now you have to remember that password. :)

3) Another method is to use a USB flash drive to store the information. Many (if not most/all) of these drives come with a program that allows you to encrypt the contents of the drive. When you don't need to be reminded what your passwords are, you simply unplug the flash drive from the computer and hide it away somewhere (that you can find it later).

Retreiving Passwords:

Sometimes the method of retreiving is obvious. For #1, you simply load the text file into Notepad and look it up. The other 2 methods can make retreival extremely difficult. If you use a password with WinZIP or the USB drive, you better remember what that password is. The makers of WinZIP and the encryption programs for USB drives have gone to great lengths to make it difficult to read anything that's been protected in this manner.

I'm sure there are at least a dozen other methods to accomplish what you've asked for. These are only the first three that came to mind.

#3 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:26 AM

That reminds me of my late girlfriend. She ran an at home business ( at least mostly at home: she met with clients at her office). Anyway, I was prowling around in her computer doing something one day and came across a folder marked "Passwords". I asked her about it, and she said she tended to forget get them so put them in a folder. I told her that wasn't very secure as anyone with access to her computer could get them. I don't think she ever made a change though.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#4 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:02 AM

I have an extensive list of passwords (well over 100) in an Excel file which is in turn password protected. Also in the same file are all the access codes for my software applications and operating systems. You can also use numbers and special characters and upper and lower case letters to make your passwords stronger.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:53 AM

I'm a huge fan of Password Safe. It's a free program, and it keeps your passwords in an encrypted file, and lets your organize them. Very easy to use.

Lincoln

#6 User is offline   Car54 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:11 AM

AxCrypt is another good freebie
For a free Browser based password manager, LastPass has been working very well for me, and is secure (as well as with your security password that you use to log in)

#7 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:29 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 31 March 2010 - 07:53 AM, said:

I'm a huge fan of Password Safe. It's a free program, and it keeps your passwords in an encrypted file, and lets your organize them. Very easy to use.

Lincoln

Hi Lincoln,

Thanks for the link and for the info. I will check it out too, and if it's simple to use then it's much better.

I think the problem might be that coolfoster has a problem remembering passwords, including his login password...

#8 User is offline   Adama 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:33 AM

Hi Coolfoster, welcome to PCWorld Communities

I understand what you mean, sometimes is hard to remember passwords. I think that just about any software that you get to keep your passwords are going to need a password itself! :huh:

So, when all else fails, I would just suggest to do it the old-fashioned way... get a regular Address Book from any store. Then write down in there the name of the website/group/or whatever and then your password.

Since Address Books keep things organized by the first letter of the name, your information will be nice and organized too. That way you'll have it handy whenever you need it.

Just do not tell anybody that that's where you keep your passwords!! <_<

This post has been edited by Adama: 31 March 2010 - 09:35 AM

#9 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:34 AM

View PostAdama, on 31 March 2010 - 09:33 AM, said:

Hi Coolfoster, welcome to PCWorld Communities

Just do not tell anybody that that's where you keep your passwords!! <_<

Of course, it may not be a big deal if there isn't anyone in the house he is worried about getting to the book. After all, in order to read the book, you have to have physical access to it. In a home environment, in most cases it would be fairly secure.

Of course the key to remembering the main password and making it secure. First girlfriend's name and the year you met, I have used registered dog's name (in German) and year they were born, on some of my credit cards when they ask to set up a telephone password and suggest your mother's maiden name (which many times by tradition your mother may have taken as her married middle name) I instead use my maternal Grandmother's maiden name (even harder to find). The key is to make it something easy to remember and add a few significant numbers so it is stronger.

I made the mistake of changing the password on some Quicken files once, when I rolled from one year to the next. I later wanted to go back and get some data from the old files and could not remember the password. Since I had a pattern of passwords, it took me a while to remember the right one, at which time I then listed that password in my file. The flaw in using any password on the computer is you have to remember the master password and have to have access to the computer. The flaw in putting them in a book, which is a good idea, is you can't misplace the book or as they say in polite society, you are up an unsanitary tributary without visible means of locomotion. :lol:
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:16 AM

View PostAdama, on 31 March 2010 - 09:29 AM, said:

Hi Lincoln,

Thanks for the link and for the info. I will check it out too, and if it's simple to use then it's much better.

I think the problem might be that coolfoster has a problem remembering passwords, including his login password...

Well, with Password Safe, he'll still have to remember one of them. But just one.

Lincoln

#11 User is offline   coolfoster 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:35 AM

Thanks to all of you for the support but I am not that much technical strong so doing something like that may I will lose my data therefore some one suggest me the password recovery software from Stellar Phoenix. Please tell me about this software or something better than this.

#12 User is offline   JimH443 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:42 AM

View Postcoolfoster, on 06 April 2010 - 01:35 AM, said:

Thanks to all of you for the support but I am not that much technical strong so doing something like that may I will lose my data therefore some one suggest me the password recovery software from Stellar Phoenix. Please tell me about this software or something better than this.

Find out all about the software here.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users