Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can Not Safely Remove External Hrd Drive

#1 User is offline   lobtuf 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:38 AM

Whenever I click the Safely Remove icon, I receive a message saying "The device could NOT be removed now. Please close all running programs and try again later." Problem is all programs are closed. I am using Vista, any help would be appreciated.

#2 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:11 AM

If all programs are closed, you need to make sure the drives resources are shut off, such as open word documents stored on the hard drive, etc. They need to be closed. If that doesn't solve anything, just unplug the drive.

#3 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:09 AM

I would NOT just unplug the drive. If all the documents are closed, then there is something keeping the drive active. Are you sure that the drive is not active in Windows Explorer for example and it is minimized?

If all else fails, to protect the drive, I would shut down the computer, disconnect the drive after the computer had completely shut down and then reboot.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:10 AM

In addition to closing all open programs and windows, did you wait long enough for the OS to write the data from the cache to the drive? Write caching improves the performance of the drive, but you can disable it by going into the drive's properties and change the policy to Quick Removal.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

#5 User is offline   Tunz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:02 PM

View Postlobtuf, on 26 April 2010 - 04:38 AM, said:

Whenever I click the Safely Remove icon, I receive a message saying "The device could NOT be removed now. Please close all running programs and try again later." Problem is all programs are closed. I am using Vista, any help would be appreciated.

The usual explanation is that the files on the drive are being scanned by your antivirus app or being indexed by a desktop search program.

#6 User is offline   dave143 

• Pip

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:03 AM

View PostTunz, on 28 April 2010 - 10:02 PM, said:

View Postlobtuf, on 26 April 2010 - 04:38 AM, said:

The usual explanation is that the files on the drive are being scanned by your antivirus app or being indexed by a desktop search program.

I have found you can avoid this problem by making sure the appropriate hardware option is picked for the device. If you right click on any storage device displayed by Windows Explorer, then go to
Properties - Hardware - (pick the device you want to remove in the list of devices) - Properties - Policy
and make sure the option is selected that obviates the need to use the tray icon for removal. I have never had a problem with removing a device with this set.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users