PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: At&t Pulls The Plug On Its Unlimited Data Plans - PCWorld Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

At&t Pulls The Plug On Its Unlimited Data Plans

#1 User is offline   PCWorld 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:02 AM

Post your comments for AT&T Pulls the Plug on Its Unlimited Data Plans here

#2 User is offline   Cruc 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:19 AM

haha, all of these users use less than these amounts NOW. What about when you get that new fast 4G? What about when you tether it? Duh, you'll consume much more than 2gb when it's hooked up to your laptop. Get ready for some high bills, AT&T customers.

#3 User is offline   sroach23 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:35 AM

if att set it to 5gb for $25 or $30 it would be okay. $25 for two gb is not going to fly. i was thinking of going to att for the dell streak, now i think att can suck it.

#4 User is offline   KatMcLaughlin 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:36 AM

LOL! I have NO idea why anyone would be with AT&T anyway - most overpriced cell phone company - EVER.

#5 User is offline   MaxKielcz 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:37 AM

This is just dumb. I can't wait for the bills on this. If AT&T switches their plans I hope that another company picks up the iPhone cause I'm going with them instead...

#6 User is offline   MadScotsman 

• PipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:41 AM

They couldn't help themselves.

This was like trying to throw yourself on the floor. AND MISSING. The SECOND the iPhone is available on any other carrier - the mass defection will swift and terrible. THIS is what you get when you allow a single carrier to monopolize a device. THIS is why AT&T's name was missing from Apple's huge slide listing their valued carriers. Greed Grubbing at it's worst. The iPhone saved them. But they've been resentful of the infrastructure upgrades they had to make and the bad press because they have no customer service. The answer? GOUGE those a-hole iPhone users! Yeah. That'll show them. Hurry up Verizon. I can't WAIT for the mass exodus.

#7 User is offline   PaulMartin 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:41 AM

Thanks AT&T for making it less attractive to purchase a smartphone on your network. I thought people were swamping the network with their data usage? Now you're telling me that the average users uses less than 200MB a month. Make up your minds. You just want to make a pretty penny on all your customers who will now be tethering their devices to a laptop when they're on the go. Anything to make a buck...

#8 User is offline   jglen490 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:42 AM

<headline>
AT&T Shoots Off Another Foot - How Many Left?
</headline

#9 User is offline   TN77 

• PipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:44 AM

AT&T is not overpriced. Look at all the cell phone plans at all the companies (yeah, all four of them). It's an oligopoly and they all have the same price-fixed rates. I found CellPhoneBillOfRights.com, some interesting ideas.

#10 User is offline   AdamTaylor 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:46 AM

Incredible.

No, seriously; that's exactly what I'm going to replace my iPhone with after this news.

#11 User is offline   RdRobinson 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:47 AM

This just gives us more reason to hope that Apple will wake up and sell the IPhones and IPads through other carriers. I would not mind paying for premium service if I could get it. Makes a lot o sense to come up with a more expensive data plan when one is faced with poor signal strength, very little 3g coverage, dropped calls, and large areas with no coverage at all. I love my Iphone but when my contract is out I will seriously look at a Droid just to get away from AT&T

#12 User is offline   worldbfree4me 

• PipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:47 AM

And to think that people were bitching about Sprint raising the EVO 4G's price $10 month:)

#13 User is offline   AdamTaylor 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:49 AM

View PostPaulMartin, on 02 June 2010 - 04:41 AM, said:

Thanks AT&T for making it less attractive to purchase a smartphone on your network. I thought people were swamping the network with their data usage? Now you're telling me that the average users uses less than 200MB a month. Make up your minds. You just want to make a pretty penny on all your customers who will now be tethering their devices to a laptop when they're on the go. Anything to make a buck...

200mb is a lot less than 2gb.

1gb = 1024 mb..

#14 User is offline   PaulMartin 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:50 AM

View PostCruc, on 02 June 2010 - 04:19 AM, said:

haha, all of these users use less than these amounts NOW. What about when you get that new fast 4G? What about when you tether it? Duh, you'll consume much more than 2gb when it's hooked up to your laptop. Get ready for some high bills, AT&T customers.

I don't agree with it, but I think that's what they're trying to do. It's pretty underhanded in my opinion. They're limiting your data usage and charging you for overages while at the same time enabling something that promises to send data usage through the roof. How about just keeping the $30 unlimited plan and charging extra only if you want tethering? I don't need tethering but I don't want to be charge $100/MB or whatever their ridiculous overage rate is if I exceed my limit.

This post has been edited by PaulMartin: 02 June 2010 - 04:50 AM

#15 User is offline   ivorycruncher 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:50 AM

Verizon, your move. I know Verizon is moving away from unlimited data plans for LTE service, but that's not going to be out for a while, and we don't have any details on what the pricing and restrictions will be for the plans. I know there's a lot of debate on whether or not their "unlimited" data plan actually has a 5GB cap or not, but I never come anywhere remotely close to using 5GB of data on my Droid Eris per month. I might not even hit 5GB in one year. So um, yeah, I would love to pay less for data, but I don't want it so restricted that I actually have to start worrying about how much data I actually do use. C'mon Verizon, get tiered pricing out, and make it make sense, unlike AT&T's stupid restrictions.

#16 User is offline   BobWilke 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:51 AM

So you pay 25 instead of 30 for less then half the amount of data you got before. Gotta hand it to AT&T, the DeathStar is back in a big way. And just as Leia said in the film The more they tighten their grip the more subscriber slip through their fingers.

#17 User is offline   mtcoder 

• PipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:55 AM

iPad doesn't do flash cause Jobs doesn't want his minions to cry foul when they get a $200 data usage bill cause they like hulu.

#18 User is offline   MarkFreedman 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:00 AM

Assuming Lord Jobs will fail to untie the iPhone from AT&T and allow it to be used on multiple carriers, this outrageous ripoff plan from AT&T is in fact the iPhone killer and I will not be buying any new iPhone that's tied to this limited data fail plan. If Verizon and Sprint follow suit (doubt it since they can now poach AT&T customers with their unlimited offers), it will put the brakes on the entire mobile smartphone and tablet market.

#19 User is offline   TracyParks 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:01 AM

well i was going to get the new iPhone and stay with at&t, but now i think i will definitely reconsider. verizon or anyone would be better than this. looks like i wont be making any app or music purchases from my phone any more.

#20 User is offline   CherylBarker 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:01 AM

Its only a matter of time before the other carriers follow suite. We're going to get screwed until all competition starts bringing prices back down. The iPhones that I bought for myself and my family were the worst purchase decision I've ever made. Early termination fee or not, looks like AT&T's competition is looking a lot better. Goodbye AT&T.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users