• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mp3 File Copy Verification How to Verify the Integrity of a Copied MP3 File

#1 User is offline   DrZeus 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:33 PM

Hi Lincoln,
I've been searching for an answer to this question for quite a while. As a matter of fact, I have previously addressed it thru this forum some time ago without an acceptable response.

I have 20,000 immaculately edited MP3's that I have legally ripped from my own CD collection. It has taken me 5+ years to rip them, accurately edit each tag and apply MP3gain to every one of those files.
I would like to mirror (back-up) these folders of files to spare drives preserving integrity, perfectly, byte by byte. I have copied these folders in the past using Windows Explorer but, the copy was not without errors. Considering the fact that it would take 4+ months of 24/7 continuous listening to verify each track by ear, the copy MUST BE a PERFECT digital clone of the source file.
How can I accomplish this?

This post has been edited by DrZeus: 17 June 2010 - 05:43 PM

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:07 AM

View PostDrZeus, on 17 June 2010 - 05:33 PM, said:

Hi Lincoln,
I've been searching for an answer to this question for quite a while. As a matter of fact, I have previously addressed it thru this forum some time ago without an acceptable response.

I have 20,000 immaculately edited MP3's that I have legally ripped from my own CD collection. It has taken me 5+ years to rip them, accurately edit each tag and apply MP3gain to every one of those files.
I would like to mirror (back-up) these folders of files to spare drives preserving integrity, perfectly, byte by byte. I have copied these folders in the past using Windows Explorer but, the copy was not without errors. Considering the fact that it would take 4+ months of 24/7 continuous listening to verify each track by ear, the copy MUST BE a PERFECT digital clone of the source file.

Hi, Doc. That's quite a collection you've got. How many GBs does it take up.

I'd recommend a multi-prong approach:

1) Keep them on your internal hard drive.

2) Make your Music folder part of your regular, daily backup routine, so that it's backed up regularly.

3) Get an MP3 player with a large enough capacity to fit all of your music, and transfer all of it to that.

4) Burn it to DVDs--as data, not as audio. In other words, copy of the files. Use the more expensive, gold-backed Archival DVDs. Store them properly--upright, in a cool, dry location.

5) Burn another set to DVD, and store these somewhere else. Or ask a friend to store them.

Lincoln

#3 User is offline   sniffle 

• Pip

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 18 June 2010 - 08:07 AM, said:

View PostDrZeus, on 17 June 2010 - 05:33 PM, said:

Hi Lincoln,

Hi, Doc. That's quite a collection you've got. How many GBs does it take up.

I'd recommend a multi-prong approach:

1) Keep them on your internal hard drive.

2) Make your Music folder part of your regular, daily backup routine, so that it's backed up regularly.

3) Get an MP3 player with a large enough capacity to fit all of your music, and transfer all of it to that.

4) Burn it to DVDs--as data, not as audio. In other words, copy of the files. Use the more expensive, gold-backed Archival DVDs. Store them properly--upright, in a cool, dry location.

5) Burn another set to DVD, and store these somewhere else. Or ask a friend to store them.

Lincoln

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users