Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hdmi AVR pass through signal

#1 User is offline   rickpfloyd 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

Is it possible to lose any digital video quality when running 1.4(1080P) HDMI cables from a DVR into a (1080P/3D) Denon AVR and from the AVR into the HD TV? Cables are 3 feet between the DVR and AVR and 10 feet between the AVR and TV. What about running a Blue Ray through the AVR as well?

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:26 PM

View Postrickpfloyd, on 04 July 2010 - 02:10 PM, said:

Is it possible to lose any digital video quality when running 1.4(1080P) HDMI cables from a DVR into a (1080P/3D) Denon AVR and from the AVR into the HD TV? Cables are 3 feet between the DVR and AVR and 10 feet between the AVR and TV. What about running a Blue Ray through the AVR as well?

Hi and welcome to the forum. The Denon AVR is used in Home Theater set ups, so i wouldn't think there would be any loss. The BD should do fine as well.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:41 AM

Hi, Coastie.

Joe Kane, one of the major home theater gurus, told me that this is a problem with the really expensive, high-end receivers that cost thousands of dollars. In order to justify their high prices, they "improve" the image rather than merely passing it through.

But the consumer-level products just pass it through, and thus do no harm.

Speaking of passing through, you should figure out how to set up your receiver so that, when it's turned off, the complete HDMI signal--audio and video--pass through to the TV. This allows you to watch stuff that isn't in surround with less power consumption.

One more suggestion, and this is what I do: Since your DVR doesn't get broadcasts in anything better than Dolby Digital, you don't really need an HDMI connection to the receiver. The sound will be just as good with an optical connection. So use an HDMI connection from the DVR to bring video and audio to the HDTV, and an optical one to bring audio to the receiver for when you want it.

The only device where the HDMI-receiver-HDTV daisy chain really makes sense is with a Blu-ray player.

Lincoln

#4 User is offline   efex172 

• Pip

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

Onkyo tx-sr608 enough said....

few hundred dollors
THX Select2
pass through

CAN DAISY CHAIN IT as much as you like with out any problem.

But it`s what you can do now with **2010 receivers**.

#5 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

View Postefex172, on 12 August 2010 - 01:46 PM, said:

Onkyo tx-sr608 enough said....

few hundred dollors
THX Select2
pass through

CAN DAISY CHAIN IT as much as you like with out any problem.

But it`s what you can do now with **2010 receivers**.

Hi, efex and welcome to the forums.

I'm having a bit of trouble following your argument. Could you please explain it in a little more detail.

Thanks,

Lincoln

#6 User is offline   efex172 

• Pip

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:01 PM

Yeah i thought i`d have to come back you see this is your problem from your...info...

But does the video lose something in that process?

ironically, the more expensive the receiver,(indicating all)
the more likely that the answer will be "Yes.",(indicating all)
Home theater guru Joe Kane told me that expensive, high-end receivers--the kind that cost thousands of dollars--often muck with the image.,(indicating all)
"People who make expensive processors feel they should be hands-on with the video...,(indicating all)
They feel obligated to process it, and therefore they hurt it.",(indicating all)

The problem is you didn`t put *some receiver manufacturers*

Onkyo receivers from basic to top dollar have THX image processing which i don`t think you can call muck(ing) with the signal.
and with most receivers now you can turn it all off in advanced menus.

So my point again is you give half an anwser to whats available.

Also your ...info.. contradicts it self by saying

"It can make it difficult, or even impossible, to watch television without the receiver on--a waste of electricity if you're watching a talk show or a movie with commentary."

then a few lines later say

"...set up your receiver so that it doesn't always have to be on. Check the manual for a setting that" (yeah Oops...)

I`m reading a US newsletter right....

This post has been edited by efex172: 13 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users