PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Older Software On New Windows 7 - PCWorld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Older Software On New Windows 7 Will older software be able to run on 64 bit windows 7?

#1 User is offline   BillHullender 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 28-June 10

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

I would like to upgrade to Windows 7, but I am running older software on XP. Will I be able to
run these older programs on Windows 7.
0

#2 User is offline   compnovo 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,227
  • Joined: 18-October 09
  • Location:Pacific Northwest

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

View PostBillHullender, on 02 August 2010 - 08:47 AM, said:

I would like to upgrade to Windows 7, but I am running older software on XP. Will I be able to
run these older programs on Windows 7.

Pretty much yes. I haven't had trouble with almost all of the software app's I carried over except for one CD/DVD burning program I never liked that much anyway. If you go to the Microsoft site you'll find an upgrade adviser that will tell if any of your software won't work.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit
0

#3 User is offline   Rommel 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,233
  • Joined: 22-March 09

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

View Postcompnovo, on 02 August 2010 - 10:05 AM, said:

View PostBillHullender, on 02 August 2010 - 08:47 AM, said:

I would like to upgrade to Windows 7, but I am running older software on XP. Will I be able to
run these older programs on Windows 7.

Pretty much yes. I haven't had trouble with almost all of the software app's I carried over except for one CD/DVD burning program I never liked that much anyway. If you go to the Microsoft site you'll find an upgrade adviser that will tell if any of your software won't work.


Compnovo is right, the advisor will (should) let you know.

My Roxio platium 5 will not work with w7.
Roxio has zero intentions make it compatiable.

If you have a "must have" program, or game, that won't work with w7, like myself.

A dual boot setup will solve that.
W7 is a great upgrade and is worth it in my opinion.

Rommel
0

#4 User is offline   SpiritWind 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,425
  • Joined: 19-August 06

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

Hi :

I think what the previous Posters "missed" is that
the "Upgrade" will include going to a 64 bit system
and must be extremely careful if the older programs
are compatible with that . Should research each of
your programs about compatibility with a 64 bit OS .
For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com
0

#5 User is offline   compnovo 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,227
  • Joined: 18-October 09
  • Location:Pacific Northwest

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

View PostSpiritWind, on 02 August 2010 - 04:14 PM, said:

Hi :

I think what the previous Posters "missed" is that
the "Upgrade" will include going to a 64 bit system
and must be extremely careful if the older programs
are compatible with that . Should research each of
your programs about compatibility with a 64 bit OS .

Hi Spiritwind,
It's true, I assumed apples to apples since you're given the choice between 32 and 64 bit when you upgrade.

To the OP, I upgraded to Win7 32 bit but when I initially checked the upgrade advisor my apps checked out. If your older software is valuable it may be best to upgrade to 32 bit: you won't be able to see more than about 3.5GB of RAM (that's what my system can see of my 4GB total) but aside from that I don't believe you'll experience any significant differences.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users