Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows Xp Mode In Windows 7 Recognition of local area network

#1 User is offline   RonE 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:51 AM

I have installed Windows XP mode on my Windows 7 professional machine. However, when I am operating in Windows XP mode I am not able to hook up to my local network. I am able to get to the web thru the local network, but that is all. I need to transfer files and access a network printer. Can anyone help?

#2 User is offline   mike6875 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

View PostRonE, on 19 August 2010 - 09:51 AM, said:

I have installed Windows XP mode on my Windows 7 professional machine. However, when I am operating in Windows XP mode I am not able to hook up to my local network. I am able to get to the web thru the local network, but that is all. I need to transfer files and access a network printer. Can anyone help?

Setup your network just like you would in a regular XP install,Thru Control Panel.
I believe it"s Network connections.
It worked for me.

#3 User is offline   RonE 

• Pip

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

View Postmike6875, on 22 August 2010 - 03:26 PM, said:

Setup your network just like you would in a regular XP install,Thru Control Panel.
It worked for me.

I tried this. The network is already set up. I have no problem attaching to the network in Windows 7, but when I move to XP mode, the network is no where in sight.

#4 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

View PostRonE, on 23 August 2010 - 08:38 AM, said:

View Postmike6875, on 22 August 2010 - 03:26 PM, said:

It worked for me.

I tried this. The network is already set up. I have no problem attaching to the network in Windows 7, but when I move to XP mode, the network is no where in sight.

I think Mike meant that you should set up the network from INSIDE the XP environment.

Lincoln

#5 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

Hi, everyone.

I've done some more research on this for my Answer Line blog. Here's a rough draft of my post on it:

Windows 7’s XP Mode, part of its Windows VirtualPC, allows you to run a separate version of XP inside the newer OS. The environmentis a very large free download (after all, it includes XP) that works in the Businessand Ultimate editions of Windows 7.

If you’ve got Windows 7 running nicely on your network, withaccess to the Internet, networked printers, and shared folders on othercomputers, XP Mode is going to initially disappoint you. You’ll get the Internetjust fine, but your local network will be closed off to you. Why? Because youhave to setup XP for the nextwork separately.

But first, you have to tell Windows 7 how XP should accessthe network. If you’re currently running XP Mode, exit it before going to thisstep.

In Windows y, click Start, type virtual,select Windows Virtual PC, and press ENTER. This opens a WindowsExplorer window to the Virtual Machines folder. Right-click the Windows XP Modefile and select Settings (not Properties--that’s an easy mistake tomake). In the left pane, select Networking. In the right pane, forAdapter 1, select your network adapter. Click OK .

When the dialog box is gone, load XP Mode. You can do this fromthat very same Explorer window by double-clicking the Windows XP Mode file.

In XP Mode, select Start, then Run, type netsetupand press ENTER. Click Yes at the "want to continue"dialog box.

Go through the wizard answering the questions logically, asif this is stand-alone XP PC. Follow these bits of advise as you do so:

1) Make sure you enter a different Computer Name than theone you’re using for the same computer's normal, Windows 7 environment.

2) Make sure you use the same Workgroup name that other PCson the network use.

3) Turn on file and printer sharing.

If it still can’t access the network, you likely have someother network problems. See WhyCan't My PCs see each other on the network? They can all see the Internet?for additional advice.

Lincoln

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users