PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Drug Spam Going Out To All My Hot Mail Contacts? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Drug Spam Going Out To All My Hot Mail Contacts?

#1 User is offline   ltamibrad1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

Help We have Vista and all our hot mail contacts are getting drug spam showing it is from us? Does anyone know how we can get rid of this firewall and all anti virus programs are set correctly (McAfee and AdAware)
Thank you,
Tami

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

View Postltamibrad1, on 27 August 2010 - 01:25 PM, said:

Help We have Vista and all our hot mail contacts are getting drug spam showing it is from us? Does anyone know how we can get rid of this firewall and all anti virus programs are set correctly (McAfee and AdAware)
Thank you,
Tami

A few things I would try: First, run Malwarebytes Antimalware and do a full scan. Next, change your email password and password reset question, in case the spammers got your password and are logging in that way.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:52 AM

Thank you,
Tami

Hi Tami, I have received email from a friend or relative, and open it only to find a spam link as well. DO NOT click on the link if you should receive one as it will open up your contact list to whoever is doing this. It seems that Hotmail and Yahoo is particularly vulnerable ( I don't use either ). I did get an email from my Brother recently, but what made it stand out is that 1) it came into my other email account with a different isp and 2) it was from an account that my Brother dropped years ago ( AOL ). He was apparently made aware of it by someone else, because he called me about shortly after I got it. Anyway, your contact list has been hacked and that is not actually stored in your computer, but with the email provider or service. ( If you reformat your Hard Drive and reinstall everything, when you reestablish your internet connection, your Contact list will still be there ). You can send a report to abuse@hotmail.com .
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#4 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:48 AM

Hi Tami :

You MAY have a malware "botnet" on your computer !?
The best program to fight this type of malware is
"SUPERAntiSpyware" ( http://www.superantispyware.com )
which comes in a FREE Version .

P.S. McAfee and Ad-Aware are NOT top security programs .
For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

#5 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:55 AM

Thank you,
Tami

Hi, Tami.

The fact that your friends are getting spam that appears to come from you don't mean that your PC is infected. The only real connection between your PC and your email address is that you usually use one to access the other.

My guess is that someone has hijacked your mail account. This happened to a friend of mine a few months ago, and guess what: He was using hotmail. Can you still log onto your email account? If you can, change the password immediately, and to something very strong and difficult to break. If you can't, contact Hotmail about this. (In fact, you should contact them either way.)

Another possibility: Someone you know, with whom you have a lot of mutual friends, has an infected PC acting as a bot. The bad guys spam every email address they find on the infected hard drive, and use one of those addresses to spoof as a faked Send To address.

Lincoln

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users