Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Outlook Express

#1 User is offline   joev1234 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

When I'm on my computer and on outlook express, my e-mails are current and up to date. But when I'm using my laptop, when I'm on outlook express and check my e-mails, I have all the old e-mails from the last time I used the laptop even though I already deleted them on my PC. Is there a way that I can configure the outlook exress on my laptop to on keep the most recent e-mails sent to me so when I use my laptop even if it is a month later I will not have a ton of unread e-mail in the inbox.

Thanks
Joe

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:22 AM

View Postjoev1234, on 14 September 2010 - 12:03 PM, said:

When I'm on my computer and on outlook express, my e-mails are current and up to date. But when I'm using my laptop, when I'm on outlook express and check my e-mails, I have all the old e-mails from the last time I used the laptop even though I already deleted them on my PC. Is there a way that I can configure the outlook exress on my laptop to on keep the most recent e-mails sent to me so when I use my laptop even if it is a month later I will not have a ton of unread e-mail in the inbox.

Thanks
Joe

If you're going to be checking your mail on two PCs, or on a PC and a phone, it's best to avoid the POP3 protocol that you appear to be using. POP3 simply downloads the new mail to your PC, and by default deletes it from the server. You can turn off that deletion, but it still causes problems. For instance, deleting a message on one computer will not delete it on the other. Same with moving a message to a folder.

There are two other options. Whether you can do either of them depends on your email service. It's quite likely you can do both.

1) Set up your account in OE (Outlook Express) as an IMAP account rather than POP3. IMAP syncs your local inbox (the one in Outlook Express) with the one on your email service's server. That way, every computer or phone you check your mail with gets the same messages in the same folders.

2) Stop using OE and use your email service's Web interface. That's the simplest approach, although you'll have to give up a user interface you're used to (Outlook Express).

If neither of these work, you can tell OE to leave downloaded messages on the server. In OE, select Tools, Accounts. Click the Mail tab. Double-click your account. Click the Advanced tab. Check Leave a copy of messages on server. You can also set it to delete messages after a certain number of days.

Lincoln

#3 User is offline   Master21 

• PipPip

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

I could not disagree with you more.

First, IMAP is poorly supported in most clients, including Outlook and Outlook Express.

Second, the very point you make as a strength, its allowing you to access your email from multiple computers by leaving messages on the server, is actually a huge weakness. Just think of the Google admin who was recently fired for looking through other people’s email accounts without permission. Think about the Chinese hacking incident where everyone had their email read by people in China. You think it is a good idea to leave messages on the server?

The only way I would ever leave my messages on the server is if I encrypted all of my email (via TrulyMail, GPG, etc.) but even then, it just way safer to use a portable email client (Thunderbird and TrulyMail both have portable email clients) and keep your messages on a USB drive. Then, you can still access your messages from multiple computers but your messages can only be read by you.

Stick with POP and keep your messages where they belong – with you.

#4 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:52 AM

View PostMaster21, on 04 October 2010 - 03:45 PM, said:

I could not disagree with you more.

First, IMAP is poorly supported in most clients, including Outlook and Outlook Express.

Second, the very point you make as a strength, its allowing you to access your email from multiple computers by leaving messages on the server, is actually a huge weakness. Just think of the Google admin who was recently fired for looking through other people’s email accounts without permission. Think about the Chinese hacking incident where everyone had their email read by people in China. You think it is a good idea to leave messages on the server?

The only way I would ever leave my messages on the server is if I encrypted all of my email (via TrulyMail, GPG, etc.) but even then, it just way safer to use a portable email client (Thunderbird and TrulyMail both have portable email clients) and keep your messages on a USB drive. Then, you can still access your messages from multiple computers but your messages can only be read by you.

Stick with POP and keep your messages where they belong – with you.

E-mail is not private--period. Even if you delete it right away from your service's server, you don't know how many other servers its passed through and how many it still may be sitting on. You should therefore avoid using e-mail to send a private message.

And when you can't avoid it, you should encrypt the message.

Lincoln

If you can't avoid it,

#5 User is offline   boghound 

• PipPip

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

I thought that all email headers are recorded in Europe & the States anyway by the US security forces and have been for years....It's going to get worse as the EU want ISP's to record all sites visited by their clients....Big Brother 1984....Unfortunately it's already here and thriving :angry:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users