Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need Help

#1 User is offline   alexleonardme 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:29 AM

Hey my uncle gave me a computer from his office and i cant get into the admin log in and i need to download adobe to watch video's. Is there any way to get into it? :blink:

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:29 AM

View Postalexleonardme, on 15 September 2010 - 08:29 AM, said:

Hey my uncle gave me a computer from his office and i cant get into the admin log in and i need to download adobe to watch video's. Is there any way to get into it? :blink:

Hi, try going to Control Panel ------> User Accounts and see if you can set up a second Administrative account.

This post has been edited by coastie65: 15 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 15 September 2010 - 11:29 AM, said:

Hi, try going to Control Panel ------> User Accounts and see if you can set up a second Administrative account.

That wouldn't work since he needs an admin account to install Adobe Flash, but you need an admin account to create an admin account. lol
So, I remember back with XP there is a little trick that might work - at the login screen, press Ctrl+alt+delete. login as "administrator" with no password - if you're lucky it won't be passworded. Then click Start, Run, type "control userpasswords2". You can override the password of an account there without knowing the old one. I don't think this works with Windows Vista or 7 though. In that case you'll need to find a password recovery disc, like Ophcrack.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 17 September 2010 - 03:05 PM, said:

View Postcoastie65, on 15 September 2010 - 11:29 AM, said:

That wouldn't work since he needs an admin account to install Adobe Flash, but you need an admin account to create an admin account. lol
So, I remember back with XP there is a little trick that might work - at the login screen, press Ctrl+alt+delete. login as "administrator" with no password - if you're lucky it won't be passworded. Then click Start, Run, type "control userpasswords2". You can override the password of an account there without knowing the old one. I don't think this works with Windows Vista or 7 though. In that case you'll need to find a password recovery disc, like Ophcrack.

:D Yeah, I thought of that sometime after I posted. You can't set up accounts unless you are the administartor. :P Companies give away their old computers and most don't even give a thought to wiping the user account. or at least opening it up. I have had them with no passwords, so just just logged in under the existing Admin acct.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:44 PM

Well in the worst case, there's always the nuclear option of reinstalling Windows. :D
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#6 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:22 AM

Hi. it took me a bit to get to this one.

I covered this about two years ago. See How Do I Gain Administrator Access Without a Password?

I don't know off-hand if there's a better option these days. Maybe it's time I revisit the topic.

Lincoln

#7 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:15 PM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 20 September 2010 - 11:22 AM, said:

Hi. it took me a bit to get to this one.

I covered this about two years ago. See How Do I Gain Administrator Access Without a Password?

I don't know off-hand if there's a better option these days. Maybe it's time I revisit the topic.

Lincoln

Hey Lincoln, How much dust did you have to blow of that ? :D Thought I had a vague recollection of something being posted on that subject, but not enough to go digging. Hope you had fun. :D

#8 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:36 AM

View Postcoastie65, on 20 September 2010 - 01:15 PM, said:

Hey Lincoln, How much dust did you have to blow of that ? :D Thought I had a vague recollection of something being posted on that subject, but not enough to go digging. Hope you had fun. :D

I can search through old Answer Line pieces (the print column and blog, not the forum) pretty easily. After all, I write them. They're all on my hard drive.

Lincoln

#9 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

I've decided to research this one and return to it for the blog. Here's a first draft of my answer:

Windows 7 Explorer Navigation

Dek
XP veteran Srinla found navigating folders in Windows 7 abit confusing, and asked the Windows forum for help

Body
In the Windows 7 version of Windows Explorer, as with XP’sversion, you use the left pane to navigate through folders, drives, and otherlocations. It looks different, but in many ways it behaves the same way.

If you don't see the left pane in Windows 7's Explorer,click Organize, then Layout, and check Navigation pane.

Windows 7 divides the Navigation Pane into sections, all ofwhich are collapsible and show locations. The first of these, Favorites, is theonly one that isn't hierarchical; in other words, it shows your favoritefolders, but not the folders inside of them. You can add a folder to yourFavorites by dragging it there.

The next section, Libraries, gives you Documents, Music,Pictures, and Video, all expandable for the folders inside of them.

The Computer section is like My Computer in XP. Expand thatand you’ll find all the drives on your computer, the folders inside those drives,and so on.

Windows 7’s Explorer has another, very cool way to navigatefolders. The path at the top of the window is actually a series of buttons and pull-downmenus. Click any of the folders listed, and Explorer will take you to thatfolder. Click the arrow to the right of a folder name, and you’ll get a pull-downmenu of the folders inside it.

Click to the right of the last folder to the right, and the pathbecomes text you can copy and paste.

Read the original forum discussion.

Add your comments to this article below. If you have othertech questions, email them to me at answer@pcworld.com,or post them to a community of helpful folks on the PCW AnswerLine forum.

End Body

Gain Administrator Access Without a Password

Dek
Alexleonardme acquired a used PC but doesn’t have an administratorpassword. He turned to the Windows forum for help.

Body
There are a number of ways to gain access to apassword-protected administrator account. I’ll offer two.

The first one is quick and easy, taking advantage of a backdoortrick in XP. But it won’t work in Vista or Windows 7, and it won’t work in XPif someone knew about closing the backdoor.

First, boot into Safe Mode: Start your PC, and press F5 before Windows appears. (It may takea few tries to get the timing right.) From the resulting Boot menu, select Safe Mode.

When the logon screen appears, it just might contain a useryou've never seen before, named Administrator. Click it. It just might not requirea password. Once inside Windows, you can use Control Panel's User Accountsapplet to change the password on the other administrator account or create anew one for yourself.

And while you’re there, you might also want to add apassword to the Administrator account in order to close the backdoor.

If you’re using Vista or Windows 7, or if someone closedthat backdoor already, I recommend using Ubuntu Linux. This gets a littlecomplicated, so follow it closely.

Create the Disc

If you don’t already have a live Ubuntu Linux CD, downloadthe current version.The OS downloads as an .iso file, which is basically an image backup of a CD.Double-click the file, and Windows might start a program that burns your UbuntuCD. If it doesn’t, download and install ISORecorder, then try again.

The instructions below are based on Ubuntu version 10.04.1LTS--the most current as I write this.

Once you’ve created the disc, boot off the CD. When asked,click the Try Ubuntu button.

Install the Software

From the menus in the top-right corner of the screen, selectSystem, Administration, Software Sources.

In the resulting window, check the two options not yetchecked: Community-maintained Open Source software (universe) and Softrwarerestricted by copyright or legal issues (multiverse). Click Close, thenReload.

After the program is done processing, select System,Administration, Synaptic Package Manager.

In the resulting window’s Search field, enter chntpw.A program with that name should appear in the list of packages below. Check chntpw and select Mark forinstallation. Click the Apply toolbar icon. Click Apply, andwait until the installation is complete.

Mount Your Drive

From the top menus, select Places, then your internalhard drive or Windows partition. When it's mounted, a File Browser window (muchlike Windows Explorer) will appear.

By double-clicking the folder icons, go to the Windowsdrive's Windows\system32\config folder. Leave this window up.

Remove the Password

From the top menus, select Applications, Accessories,Terminal. This brings up a black window similar to Windows’ command line(or DOS box for you old-timers).

Arrange these two windows so that you can see the top sectionof the File Browser window behind the Terminal window.

In the Terminal command line window, type cd /media/(note the SPACE after cd) and the path to your config folder, using the foldernames at the top as a guide. I’d tell you simply to type “cd/media/windows/system32/config”, but unlike Windows command line, the Ubuntu iscase sensitive. Depending on what version of Windows you’re trying to reclaim,it may be windows/system32 or Windows/System32, and Ubuntu won’t see if it youget the case wrong. Use forward slashes between the folders.

When it’s typed, press ENTER.

Now type sudo chntpw -u logon SAM,where logon is the logon name for the admin account you need to take controlover. For instance, if you’re trying to take over my account, you’d enter sudo chntpw -u lincoln SAM. Remember, everythinghere is case sensitive, including the logon name.

After you hit ENTER,lot of text will scroll up very quickly. If you entered the text correctly, thelast section will have heading ". . . . User Edit Menu:"

Now press 1 (the number, not lower-case L), then ENTER.

At the resulting question, press y.

When its done, click the power button logo in the upper-rightcorner and reboot into Windows. The account in question will no longer requirea password.

Read the original <a href="http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?showtopic=96486">forum discussion.

Add your comments to this article below. If you have othertech questions, email them to me at answer@pcworld.com,or post them to a community of helpful folks on the PCW AnswerLine forum.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users